What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why your water is not 50 ppm.

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
A while ago there were a bunch of treads regarding water quality. Some had statements of, "I called the water company and they say my water only only X PPM!!" I'm sure that very true when it leaves the water plant, however it then goes into the grid of doom before being served to your home. Pipes that run in the street, to your home, etc can very very very old, a lot older than you want to know. I felt that these two pictures might help show what kind of things can make your 50 ppm water jump to 350ppm.

This is what I call a water mushroom, it's a water cut off valve that you might find out in the yard. Basically the thing you hit with the lawn mower. :crap:
watermush.JPG

All good and dandy, but this is what the other part of that looks like. This is taken from an abandoned steam tunnel in one of my buildings. The part probably is anywhere from 1920 to 1960's in age. It's city property and their responsibility to replace and maintain. All the water serving the building flows through this valve, and the rust can be flaked off by touch. From my experience, removing a pipe in this condition usually shows the similar deterioration on the inside as well. Granted not to the same degree, but it's there changing your 50ppm water.

watermush2.JPG

I just kinda felt this might help illustrate water quality a bit.
Nate

As long as the water's pH isn't real low and it's oxygenated, it can carry almost no iron. If the pH is OK, it can't pick up much copper either. There'd be more to worry about if the water contacts lead pipe or solder, but it would be a health issue, not a TDS issue. So I wouldn't expect the TDS to increase a large amount on its way through a water system.

rounit1.jpg

Very interesting info Bruce. But are you referring to dissolved solids? I still feel undissolved solids flow through the pipes just under pressure. This is a pic of my RO unit, the first sediment filter turns this color in 2 to 3 months. When I remove it, it smells like rust.

Gross stuff.

I found this through google - http://www.cityofdekalb.com/Public%20Works/Water%20Resources.htm - but didn't see any water quality data for Dekalb, IL. Nevertheless, if the source water has high iron, then they might be doing just enough to get it below federal standards before pumping it into the distribution system, where the residual iron could continue precipitating. The inside of a water pipe isn't a pretty sight, but I don't think the stuff is very mobile.

Very interesting Bruce, it got me really thinking today. What do you feel is the cause of my filters changing so rapidly? DeKalb send out paper water reports, I wish they would publish it online, but I think it's something the town wants people to forget since they have problems with Radium. Naturally I read the water report, and threw it away, but I don't think they gave a figure for flat out ppm, they gave out the ratings for different elements.

Nate

Back