What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does my sundew not have any tendrils?

So I'm new to the carnivorous family and I've fallen in love with sundews. I got one named Lawrence (Harry Larry as a nick name) who is nice and red but as of late has been making leaves with no tendrils and the leaves are short. I keep it outside on a windowsill where it gets between 4 to 6 hours of afternoon sun. We live in Louisiana so it's not too cold but temperatures are going down jnto 40s and 30s. Wondering if this is some dormancy

Attachments

• 20221201_160935.jpg
    20221201_160935.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 9
You can expect that Drosera capensis, which I take your plant to be, will die back a bit with the cool temps you describe. Most forms will have no trouble bouncing back once temperatures rise again. Here in the Pacific northwest they die back to the ground but generally sprout out again when warmer weather returns.

You can expect that Drosera capensis, which I take your plant to be, will die back a bit with the cool temps you describe. Most forms will have no trouble bouncing back once temperatures rise again. Here in the Pacific northwest they die back to the ground but generally sprout out again when warmer weather returns.
Yes it is a caped sundew. I guess I'm just wondering if the misformed leaves that are smaller and lacking tendrils is part of the dormancy

Drosera capensis doesn't go dormant, but can do things in response to cold weather/poor conditions and then it can be robust enough to survive and resume growth when conditions get better. Note how above the term "die back" was used and not dormancy. If the weather is not optimal but not super cold your plant will sulk but still grow like your seeing.

Ok so from the picture I shouldn't be too worries? It's still growing, just the new growths are shorter and weirder

Lows in the 40s and 30s will definitely cause it to grow differently and as bluemax stated there is a point where the plant will die back. If you want to keep the plant happy and growing normally I would suggest finding a warmer spot. Maybe inside that window sill and you can also add a light with timer to give it 16 to 18 hours of light to supplement what it's getting in sun.

Back