What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Veitchii to Choose?

I'm looking to buy a squat and hairy veitchii that can be grown in my house. preferably one that can grow large as well.

Im in Canada so its kind of hard to find these things,
Though after looking I around I found these:
-Nepenthes rajah x veitchii BE-3730 89$
-Nepenthes robcantleyi x veitchii BE-3933 49$
-Nepenthes robcantleyi x veitchii BE-3700 59$
-Nepenthes Veitchii Phill Man Clone 89$
-Nepenthes Veitchii Pa Umour 45$
-Nepenthes Veitchii x mira BE-3696 29$
-Nepenthes Veitchii Bario Squat Candy Stripe 99$
-Nepenthes Burbigdae x (Veitchii x Lowii) 69$
-Nepenthes veitchii x maxima “wavy” BE-4061 24$

-Nepenthes Veitchii Batu Buli - Batu Lawi, Kelabit Highlands, Borneo BCP ID# N334 (idk if this is in stock) 25$
-Nepenthes Veitchii BCP ID# N337 (idk if this is in stock) 25$
-Nepenthes Veitchii BCP ID# N338, N341 (idk if this is in stock) 25$

If you're looking for a veitchii I'm drop the veitchii hybrids from your list. The Bario plants are variable but there is the potential for some to be super squat. I'd go with that if I was you

I had two veitchiis when I last had Neps ~15 years ago: a Bareo Highland and a Batu Lawi. I can't remember if either was unusually squat or hairy and can't find any photos, but I can see that one had grown to 20" across and the other was a little smaller. That surprises me - I didn't remember them getting so big.

I do agree with Grey Moss that you should avoid the hybrids if it's a veitchii that you want, but hybrids can be more forgiving to grow. Have you grown other Neps? Unless you can provide better winter conditions than I could here between NYC and Boston, it'll need the best possible growing conditions in summer to make up for the winter. My Neps (and orchids) spent their summers hanging in trees.

I have a ventrata right now, I think I could go for a normal veitchii then, but I just can't find a large squat one that isnt close to 100$ cause I'm in Canada

I have no idea of what the Nepenthes options are in Canada (or even here in the US anymore) but all of my more exotic Neps arrived as small plants or maybe as rooted cuttings. I couldn't (or wouldn't) spend/trade what it would have cost me to get one the size that some of mine eventually reached. It won't provide the same immediate gratification, but don't rule out buying a small one if available.

Back