What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which two Nepenthes are better?

I was really bored so I looked CPs on Wikipedia. I saw that the picture of where they say the family and phyllum was a nepenthes called N. edwardniasa. Then I realized that N. hamata wasn't the only one with awesome teeth. So which of the two do you guys think is better? N. edwardniasa, or N, hamata?

N. edwardniasa:
400px-Nepenthes_edwardsiana_ASR_052007_tambu.jpg

400px-Nepenthes_edwardsiana_entire_ASR_052007_tambu.jpg

N. hamata (the first one is from elgecko):
Nhamata_1_22_05.jpg

hamata01.jpg

This is a very hard choice to me, but I would say...N. hamata. What do you guys think?

Also have teeth: N. villosa, N. macrophylla, and... (drawing blank)...

xvart.

N. edwardsiana would probably take my vote; the teeth are most striking. On the other hand, N. hamata is probably easier to obtain...
~Joe

How about diatas?

oh I think edwarsiana is harder to grow like villosa so I would say hamata since it not really difficult in my experience and every leave makes a pitcher.

N. edwardsiana, of course! N. hamata is prêt-à-porter. Done. Everyone who wants one can obtain one. N. edwardsiana, on the other hand, is very, very hard to come by.

And it's spelled N. edwardsiana, by the way.

I still think Hamata looks better, no matter how rare/not rare it is.

singalana

That's the one! I couldn't get sanguinea out of my mind, and obviously that is not correct, lol. As for the original question, I would have to say I prefer N. edwardsiana because I like the elevated lid and the shape of the peristome (as opposed to the standard oval of N. hamata). It has more character, in my opinion.

xvart.

That first pic looks familiar....

I'd probably lean toward the edwardsiana, but then I look at the hamata pics and I do love them so.

Then I'll see a great villosa shot and start to whimper.

I wonder what a cross between edwardsiana and hamata would look like?

I'm also partial to the macrophylla mentioned above:

http://home.sdirekt-net.de/mwelge5/arten/images/Nepenthes/N_macrophylla5.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/N_macrophylla.html

I hear that they may be easier than edwardsiana and they're available from Germany. I have no clue where the edwardsiana would be found.

My vote goes for N. Edwardsiana. Um...everyone is saying N. Hamata is easy to obtain...lol I haven't seen any on the major sites of growers that I know, and I want one!!

Thanks!

Zach

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want one, you can import it. It's not unobtainable.

I don't believe asking people to PM you would fall within the rules. If so, I would have done it long ago lol.

My pick would be a edwardsiana and a villosa. ;)

Villosa and edwardsiana get my votes too. Hamata is nice but villosa have more personality in the peristoma.

Some people like the hairiness of a hamata.

I'd take either. :)

Are we not supposed to tell people where to obtain an N. hamata? You could look in Germany... (hint, hint)

N. hamata rocks! It was a very easy plant to grow, mine went from 4" seedling to a vine in just a couple years, by comparison my N. macrophylla (formerly N. edwardsiana var. macrophylla) went from dime size to 4" in about 3 years!

I placed a first come first serve order for a true N. edwardsiana that was being germinated on the east coast but the guy never contacted me, don't know if any other Nepenthes folks of the day got their eddies either.

From what I understand, N. edwardsiana is easy to grow. So far mine are growing nicely, but they're tiny plants still. It's just really really really hard to get, as swords says above. I got lucky.

Really, N. hamata or N. edwardsiana - a mature well-grown specimen of either one is breathtaking.

Capslock

Hey Cap, that's cool that at least some people got them - I dare ya to put one up on ebay to see what it'll fetch... :-D

They couldn't bid enough, swords!!! :)

Capslock

Why weren't some of the seeds put into TC?

Back