What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to get a n. rowanae ?

It should do very well in our conditions here in south Florida. Our plants survived Hurricane Frances without a hitch! With all the downed trees and powerlines(have not had electricity for three days now-I am writing this from the office), our greenhouse sustained virtually no damage.
How big do rowanae get? Typical leaf length and pitcher size?
In your opinion, SyneyNeps, our coldest winter nights in our greenhouse may hit 50 degrees F for a few hours in the pre-dawn hours, but the following day will be up to 85-90 F. Sorry, I don't remember what this is in Centigrade. Are these suitable temps?
Also, have you got any pictures of the various color forms?

Jeff's pictures were all too enticing.

Trent

Rowanae's leaves can get up to about 60cm long, with the tendril being up to 1 metre. The pitchers can also get as big as bical. The stem is about as thick as rafflesiana, and it grows quite high. As a plant, it's probably around the same size as a larger rafflesiana. Rod's largest plant is a big, chunky plant.There are many different variants, and some are smaller. But the most common form is the largest. Another thing to note is that it throws out basal shoots and side shoots quite prolifically, and can become quite a bush. I have a squat variant with 8 growing tips and looks much more like a shrub than a vine.

Rod has some good pictures on his site: http://captiveexotics.com/gallery.htm - the 1st, 5th, 8th & 9th pictures are rowanae variants. He'll be putting more pictures up once he gets time to redo his site.

Rod has said that his plants have coped with winter nights as cold as 5C, but the days are warm (25+). In summer, temps can get over 40C in the greenhouse, and the rowanae love it. I did some experimentation, and found that any extended period of day temperatures below about 20C will leave many rowanae dead. The ones that survive show severe reduction in size of new growth, and the leaves burn off. If you live in Southern Florida, you're climate should be fine for them.

Back