What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the peat moss?

• Thread starter flytrapgrower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    leaves

When are you in the chatroom? (EST) - Post when... or add your own

• 12:00 AM-3:00 AM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3:00 AM - 6:00 AM

• 6:00 AM - 9:00 AM

• 9:00 AM- 12:00 PM (noon)

• 12:00 PM (noon) - 3:00 PM

• 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM

• 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM

• 9:00 PM - 12:00 AM

• Total voters
F

flytrapgrower

I have searched for peat moss everywhere! Lowe`s, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, K-mart and local greenerys. I can not find any! I have seen it on this site for sale. can anyone tell me how many compressed circles I should buy for a 10g tank, and what else I would need for the mixture. Also how would I hook up a CPU fan to the power (12v) since the wall plugs are 110? MY plant is new and very, very small (2 little leaves) I bought it from Lowe`s. It was the last one!!
confused.gif

Try the outdoor section. You can always get Peat moss. Sometimes its sold as Peat, or other times Sphagnum peat. Sometimes theres even a country name in front. YOu can get once cubic foot, three and three point eight. Or you can get the indoor bag of twenty litres

It will take a gazillion compressed pellets to fill a big tank...

flytrapgrower
I can usually find Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss in with the potting soil section at the local Wal Mart. It takes longer to find now days though 'cause there's so many brands that have the fertilizer in them and you have to read the bags very carefully. If the only ingredient listed is Canadian Sphagnum Peat then it's OK.

Target and Wal-mart has the brand that we recommend.

Schultz Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss ( will say that on the bag ).

If you cannot find any, we offer whole bags of it here on the site, send me an email if you can't find any.

You want to stay away from things that don't say Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss...some brands will cut ( mix with other things ) and some wetting agents are tolerated with CP's ( from my exp. ).

I buy my sphagnum peat moss from Home Depot. It's labeled as "Sphagnum Peat Moss". Don't buy the plain "peat moss", it may not be the real deal.

I get my dried long-fibered sphagnum moss from Lowes.

Just go around a local gardening center, and if you can't find it, just ask the people at the desk. My family had some leftover Canadian Spaghnum Peat, so I just use that.

Oh ya, those peat pellets only fill ONE 3" pot each. Thats a hole lot of pellets. lol

I got mine at a local greenhouse for 3.50 for a big enough bag to fill about 1000 little pots.

It is just ordinary Peatmoss no additives or anything,.

Yeah I have found the most economic way to buy peat is in giant bales. It's harder to deal with but it's pretty much the only way to install a outdoor bog. Imagine filling a 2' x 5' x 3' bog with those little cakes...

Back