What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

when to fertilize sarr seedlings

when to start fertilizing them? i have 26 baby sarrs and theyre sending up their second pitchers now (pyro's seeds i think, andy was giving them away) so far they just seem to have a single root to anchor them in the ground. when do they start getting a little bigger? i want to fertilize them because i cant really think of any other way to feed them, and i want them big and strong! :)

In that article last year called 'Soil Fertilization of Sarracenia Seedlings' in the ICPS journal they were using 1 y/o seedlings for the study. Be interesting to try w/ plants <1 year old.

i have that article actually. i should read it again. they used osmocot pellets and i dont have that. i have 30-10-10 orchid stuff... and yeah they used 1yo seedlings so they probably had much better roots to absorb nutrients. mine dont, so.. if its a bad idea to fertilize them earlier than that, TELL ME! :-D

Take five of them and try it. You should figure it out pretty quick.

i always start fertilizing at about the age yours are, millipede, when they are on their 2nd/3rd leaf. haven't had any negative results yet. i don't use osmocote though, I use a foliar spray of a dilute miracid solution

cool thanks. ill wait a few more weeks til i start then

I do the same...a very dilute spray of Miracid. I've done some experimentation with and without and the difference is noticeable.

Back