What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do VFTs and Sarrs come out of dormancy, and when should I repot them outside?

I currently have my VFTs and Sarr in the garage for now, while they are dormant. When should I move them outside? I've read that they "wake up" towards the end of February. I want to pot them in a really nice big pot outside. Would doing so around the middle to end of February work? Since I live in their native state, and about two hours from the boggy lands they grow naturally in, I should think that a few frosts wouldn't ultimately kill them. Right?

Why not pot them in a really big pot in your garage while they're dormant and move them out when they show signs of growth?

A lot depends on how hot/cold your garage is and what conditions the plants have got used to before you put them out. For instance if the garage is warm and they start growing, they wont thank you for putting them outside in freezing conditions, they probably wont die but will suffer a set back. You may be better, if they start growing, to wait till conditions are more favourable.
Its very much a case of what is right for the conditions you are experiencing at the time rather than a hard and fast rule.
Cheers
Steve

Take a picture and we could distinguish better whether they're fully dormant or not. If you do not see actual growth (i.e. plant is bigger and greener every time you look at it), then it's fully dormant. They'll also be reddish/purplish/brownish.

NC weather should not bother the plants in the least. If you are concerned at all that they might not be 100% hardy, wait until you have at least 1 week where the low temps are close to or above 28F (a "hard" frost), and move them outside then. 1 week is enough to acclimate them. I'm in GA and have found this to be true when I get plants from FL, CA, or the Pacific NW.

Alrighty. Here is a pic of them. I haven't seen signs of growth for a few months, so I assume they are fully dormant. The VFT on the right is a recent purchase from Peter D'Amato, so that's why it looks the way it does.

207alus.png

Last edited:
The VFT on the right is a recent purchase from Peter D'Amato, so that's why it looks the way it does.

The plant itself looks fine. Gorgeous, in-fact. U. bisquamata is a terror. It's not really an indication of the quality of any particular grower's plants whether or not they come with a hitchhiker. ;)

Thanks Zath. Do the plants on the left look dormant? I think they do.

NC weather should not bother the plants in the least. If you are concerned at all that they might not be 100% hardy, wait until you have at least 1 week where the low temps are close to or above 28F (a "hard" frost), and move them outside then. 1 week is enough to acclimate them. I'm in GA and have found this to be true when I get plants from FL, CA, or the Pacific NW.
I'm surprised you'd mention the Pacific NW in that list. It freezes fairly regularly during the winter here and gets cold enough that we do need to protect potted CPs on occasion. It's nothing like the tropical climate of Florida or Southern California.

I start taking some of mine out around Valentine's day. Mainly VFTs to start with. I have to re-pot a few this year.

Back