What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When and How Long?

A pitcher just opened on my N. maxima mini, and it got me wondering . . .

When should a pitcher be fed? Upon opening or after it starts to produce dew?

Also, how long will a pitcher function (digest and absorb nutrients)? I have a few, that have been open several months, and they still produce dew. If producing dew, does that mean they are still working?

A pitcher can be fed as soon as it opens. After all, in the wild at that point they are ready to catch prey. And a pitcher will continue digesting its catch so long as the lower half stays alive.

Even a pitcher that is half browning may still produce fluid that can capture insects. I have fed such pitchers & found prey to be digested some time later before drying. Some species have longer lived pitchers especially those with more firm & waxy leaves/pitchers from my experience.

I love maximas but not yet had the pleasure of growing a mini. :water:

Last edited:
I have SG miniature maximas, once the mature I can find out how long the pitchers last...and I have another SG supposed "wavy leaf" whose pitchers last a very, very long time.

Back