What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your favorite nepenthes?

Well I don't have that many for space reasons but...I love my raff, bical and ampullaria. I could go as crazy as anybody for the neps but maybe its a good thing I don't have the space. Unless....I come up with a nep chamber.... hehe

Suzanne

For a low lander no doubt N.Bical, you have to be in love with it to spend $18 on one 4" plant instead of on the hundreds of other Nepenthes at a cp show.
Highlander,Spectabilis or Hamata but I've never seen Hamata in person.

ha ha! No Tony, I think you misunderstood, I didn't think this was N. edwardsiana, I just did not know whether or not the non-burbidgeae parentage was edwardsiana or macrophylla. I wasn't trying to imply having an edwardsiana!
tounge.gif

It just seems like the hip on the pitchers of my burb X ed plant are rather high (as in N. macrophylla pitchers) whereas N. edwardsiana is supposed to be have the hip in the lower 1/3rd or so.

Yes, I have heard that N. platychilla "should be" available sometime in 2004. I just hate the wait!
mad.gif

Hi Josh - I understand the question.  I was only giving you the information given to me upon my inquiry as to whether it was N. edwardsiana or N. macrophylla as the second parent.  Keep in mind the information I received was not directly from Ch'ien so my question may not have been relayed 100% accurately to him or the reply back to me. I think your correct in that they misunderstood the question a bit and thought I was asking if indeed it was either pure N. edwardsiana or N. macrophylla.

I am pretty confident it is N. edwardsiana based on the following facts to my knowledge:

N. edwardsiana and N. burbidgeae are only from Mt. Kinabalu while N. macrophylla is only from Mt. trusmadi.  N. burbidgeae and N. edwardsiana are known to grow in close proximity and the hybrid has been reported in the wild, although I have never been able to find a picture ;<.  I understand what your saying about the hip but pitcher form between seedling and adult could be very different.  It is also hard to say how the N. burbidgeae parent will influence the hip etc since this species appears to be very dominant in the hybrid so far and has no hip.
Tony

I love all Neps and it's kind of hard to choose only one so my favorite would have to be Ampullaria Green.

N. bicalcarata 'red' is my favorite for sure, though they are all awesome, the bicalcarata is a very neat nep. I wonder what the biggest one is?

Back