What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats wrong with my northiana?

I don't think the media would be too much of a problem considering how the other three are doing alright. If all four of them started complaining then I think I would have to do something about the media.
Spot on.

I have some plants in mixes which contain generous amounts of lava rock, and none of them have ever shown any symptoms like that. As I and other said, your media may also be getting too hot inside for the roots. I know for a fact northianas in situ get subjected to temps above 100, and they certainly survive, but they don't look good. I'd try to cool the roots somehow and maybe give a weak dose of fertilizer.

The media used is not lava rock but burnt soil from Indonesia. I use it for my northiana plants, including the small one about 1.5" across. They are all doing well and been putting out new leaves since they arrived in December last year. No symptoms like BT's and I fertilise with dilute orchid fertiliser every two weeks, followed by flushing through the next few days.

Many of us here have since changed to this media because of the success experienced by several other growers in getting the species to grow as well as to pitcher.

I would like to thank everybody who stopped by and had a look at my northiana. Since the last time I posted, I have been fertilizing it with fish emulsion every weekend. The green leaf in the photograph has not started to wither at the tip hand, a new leaf has unfolded and that one looks fine as well. If a few more continue to unfold without problem I can probably say that the plant has recovered and the cause was probably a lack of nutrients. (I isn't it? I thought carnivorous plants was supposed to grow in nutrient defunct locations.)

I still have a few more cities which I'm going to try slowly which have been suggested here and through private messaging. Once I start doing those things I might start getting some pitchers. I will post and keep you all updated!

Back