What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the differance in D.filiformis ssp

How do you id these plants?I have a few plants of both but they look the same to me,even the flowers were the same when they bloomed.

Jerry

from what i know.... var. tracyi was GOBBS of sticky stuff!
Alex

EDIT...oh yea...i think it also has longer foliage too

D.filiformis ssp. filiformis- has smaller flowers, is generally a smaller plant, and has reddish tentacles.
D.filiformis var (or ssp.) tracyii is much bigger and has almost transparent tentacles and pretty big flowers.
Also, D.filiformis ssp filiformis seems to have a more pronounced backside" of the leaves, whereas D.filiformis ssp tracyii looks more like it is totally covered by tentacles (tho close observation will show that it indeed does have a "back" (which would be the "bottom" of the leaf if it were a ground-growing plant) but it's not as obvious, as the sheer number of tentacles and the amount of "dew" they produce makes the leaves seem much more robust and almost tube-like
These observations are just that, I'm sure there is a much more detailed explanation of the difference, which will likely follow this one
biggrin.gif

Thank you for the information!I'll check them out today!

Jerry

Back