What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the?

I was out minding my business in my GH today when I noticed something jumping from one leaf to the next. I have never noticed such a movement before so I examined the area to find this lil guy! What the hell! We don't have LIZARDS in Michigan. Anyone have any idea what this is, and maybe more importantly how in the world did it get into my GH.
dcb0fc22.jpg

How great! I think it's a Gecko.

My aunt does plant maintenence for Bachmann's plant Leasing - driving ftrom office to office delivering display plants and taking care of the already delivered plants. She finds little lizards and frogs on the new plants all the time, sometimes spiders and snakes too. Usually someone at the office will take it but her kids love when she brings them home. Most little critters are shipped here to MN from plant farms in Florida depite the plants having "phyto santiary" tickets.

When was the last time you got a new larger tropical plant? It may have even come as an egg buried in the potting soil if it's been a real long time - you may never know! Good luck with it though!
smile.gif

Thanks, never thought it could be a stowaway. Umm now I gotta think about what to do with this fellow.

Yes it's a carolina anole. It'll die, this winter if left outside.

It probably was shipped in a plant.

You can send it to me and I'lllet in go in my yard.

We have things like those where we live called green anoles, and when we lived in miami we had ones that got about two feet long, and were mean as crap!

Well my GH is heated, so would he live through the winter in H/L nep conditions?

FarmerDave, those bigguns are Cuban Anoles and yeah they are nasty.

My guess is that your anole was an egg in a pot when it was shipped (can look like perlite) and now you have the end result.

If it is living in conditions where you won't let it go below 50 it should be ok. Otherwise, go buy a 5 gallon tank and have a pet anole!

cut it up and feed it to your plants!

.....Just Kidding!

Definitly an Anole!
When my brother and I were kids, we used to keep them as pets in terrariums, my dad would always find them at his gardening Job and bring them home! I rember our last Anole, it crawled under its electrically heated rock one night, and then was crushed to death
Poor little guy
smile_h_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif
How sad.

Its a pretty lil' thing. If you leave him in your greenhouse he might escape outside and then he'll freeze. Better to keep him IN something or send him to Ozzy or someone in a warmer area.

Love the blue around his eyes.

Do you really not have ANY lizards in Michigan??

we have those in georgia too! when i was little i called them chameleons because they change color.

i don't see them as often as i see skinks, but then agian i don't look up in the trees!

Unless you plant to feed it in the greenhouse, it will probably starve over the winter, and has been said, escape into the cold harsh Michigan winter is always a possibility. BTW, Cuban anoles are always a ahde of brown, Carolina anoles can change color between green and brown.

Sorry, The previous post should say "plan to feed it" - they are carnivores and I doubt there are enough insects in the greenhouse to feed it all winter.

Sure that is a green anole? Never seen one with a stripe like that.

A lot of people seem to be getting these in with their plants. Too bad nothings happened to me yet.

aww i love anoles! about Cuban knight anoles...man they are big! there are some for sale at our feeders supply. they have huge heads!!
Farmer Dave: as of recently some body let loose some iguanas in florida and now they are runnign all over the place...these are the big 6 footers too! there is also an outbreak of another pet.... moniter lizards. so you could have seen one of those as well.
Alex

The stripe is called a zipper. Which means it is probably a female.

They can survive temps way below 50. It has been as cold as 0f here and we still have them running around. If you have a cold green house, you can put him in there for the winter. Temps between 40 and 60 will be ok. They can take brief periods below freezing.

Well the GH will not get below 55 so I guess he/she will be ok. I actually just noticed I now have 2. So either I have eggs somewhere or someone is screwing with me.

confused.gif
Alright nobody better blame this on me. I have a very good alibi.
confused.gif

Back