What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should I feed my Cephalotus?

mmorehead

Carnivorous Newbie!
Needing to know how often I need to feed the pitcher's on my Hummer's Giant. Should I feed it Hikari Cichlid pellets, freeze dried blood worms, something else? And how often would you recommend doing so? It's been a little over a week since it was fed Cichlid food from the seller. Thanks in advance!

Hikari pellets in a couple of pitchers twice a month are sufficient. I've tried dried blood worms in the past, though had mold issues immediately afterwards; also, I would split the pellets to make them a bit smaller . . .

... though had mold issues immediately afterwards;
Yeah - seems to be an issue w/ any food that doesn't sink under the fluid & since it's tough to visually confirm that the food has indeed gone below the water level .... :headwall:

I was using Betta pellets - about four pellets per pitcher. I'd guess they are a quarter the size or smaller than the Cichlid pellets. I stopped using the brand I had since they were made in China and I didn't trust the ingredients in them. The smaller size lessens the mold problems.

Now I just sprinkle a bunch of wingless fruitflies into a container and freeze them long enough to kill most of them and feed four to six flies per pitcher. Around 2 or 3 pitchers every two or three weeks. The rest of the flies go to my Drosera.

I will not feed a pitcher without fluid in it. I have never had to add water.

It was my understanding that he had just received the Cephalotus and the pitcher fluids were lost during shipping. My suggestion to add water was simply to avoid the leaves withering -- until fluid could be produced on its own . . .

what is these pellets ? can someone say something good to feed them with,.. that is easy to get ?

Fluid Levels?

It was my understanding that he had just received the Cephalotus and the pitcher fluids were lost during shipping. My suggestion to add water was simply to avoid the leaves withering -- until fluid could be produced on its own . . .

When it came, the seller had packed wet sphagnum over the top of the pitchers. The pot was placed into a piece of floral foam to keep it secure. It was then carefully placed into a ziplock bag and bubble wrapped.

I didn't know about the flashlight trick to see the fluid levels until today, and as embarrassed as I am to admit, I couldn't tell you if they had had water in them when I took it out of the packaging a week ago... which is why I was putting several drops of rainwater into the pitcher's over the first several days until I learned not to. And I was so thankful for the advice to fill the pitcher that had its lid closed, because it worked! :)

I know that I'm not supposed to feed the pitcher's if there's no fluid. Is there a specific amount of fluid it needs to have in order to absorb the food? I've read that pitcher's with too much fluid can cause mold issues. Again, your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to help this newbie!!!

Feeding Ceph Fruitflies

I was using Betta pellets - about four pellets per pitcher. I'd guess they are a quarter the size or smaller than the Cichlid pellets. I stopped using the brand I had since they were made in China and I didn't trust the ingredients in them. The smaller size lessens the mold problems.

Now I just sprinkle a bunch of wingless fruitflies into a container and freeze them long enough to kill most of them and feed four to six flies per pitcher. Around 2 or 3 pitchers every two or three weeks. The rest of the flies go to my Drosera.

Thank you for your reply! Is there a specific method you use to catch fruitflies? I've read that you can uses vinegar and other things... just don't want to use anything that could potentially be harmful to the Ceph. I've had this plant for a week now, so I should probably wait another week to feed? I know the previous owner fed it cichlid food before shipping.

Thanks in advance!!!

You would be better off with flightless fruit flies as the winged ones will escape and become a nuisance. Last thing you want to do is annoy the rest of your family with your new hobby.

You can buy flightless fruit flies online or you local Petco may carry them. Call ahead first as not all stores carry them.

If you want to catch them (not advised as per above) you can Google search "DIY fruit fly traps" or "DIY Fruitfly traps". You can use basically anything fermented or will ferment as a lure. You may need to add a bit of yeast to start fermentation.

Instructions for growing your own cultures can also be found via Google - try "fruit fly cultures". You can also search TerraForums as we had a discussion on this earlier this year.

You can also feed them ants which are as I recall the staple food in the wild.

Some fine tweezers will help greatly.

Back