What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your best method for studying?

joossa

Aklys
Hey everyone! My final examination week started today, and things are getting hectic. There is no doubt that my Biology Lab course is causing me the most stress. It consists of taxonomy attributes of all major phyla in each domain and the morphology of specific organisms we have studied/dissected in lab (from methanogens to flowering plants). So, yeah, lots of details to study, and the lab practical (final) is on Thursday!
sad.gif

So… let me get to the point: I’m curious, how do you guys like to study? What methods are most effective for you? Do you use verbal repetition? Do you re-write the info you need to know? Do you re-read the material? Do you like to study in groups? Individually? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Thanks!

I pull all-nighters where i stay up and spend about 50% of the time playing around on the internet (im here now aren't I? haha), and 50% of the time re-reading what i think is important over and over again. Usually it works....I get an A or B in everything

Not that this is what you want to hear, but I didn't really study in school. When I tried, or worked on homework, I would do practice problems for about 15 minutes and then take "a break" for about 45 minutes. Needless to say, I was never the best student.

I think it depends on what courses you are taking. Since you mentioned Biology I would go over old homework assignments and review the material covered there, check the parts you got wrong and make sure you understand where you made your mistakes. If you have a math/physics/chemistry then just go with problems after problems after problems. If it's history you'll have to talk to someone else.

Good luck to everyone taking finals!

xvart.

I just finished mine about an hour ago hehehe

One more calendar year until my degree...

It's proven that being in the same frame of mind when you studied as when you're taking the test is a big help.
For instance I got drunk while studying and took the test drunk, and it worked pretty good!
Of course I'm not suggesting this, more like if you were well-rested studying, be well-rested for the test or whatever.
Also when I usta make cheat-sheets, from writing the info down I wouldn't even hafta look at the cheat-sheet anymore. I would remember it fair-and-square!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (quogue @ Dec. 13 2006,9:39)]Also when I usta make cheat-sheets, from writing the info down I wouldn't even hafta look at the cheat-sheet anymore. I would remember it fair-and-square!!
It's like on Growing Pains when Kirk Cameron writes all the information on the bottom of his shoe and then doesn't need it because he remembers it all - then he gets busted for cheating when he is so proud and puts his feet up on the desk displaying all the information!

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's proven that being in the same frame of mind when you studied as when you're taking the test is a big help.
For instance I got drunk while studying and took the test drunk, and it worked pretty good!
Of course I'm not suggesting this, more like if you were well-rested studying, be well-rested for the test or whatever.

Very interesting... I'm going to try and give it a shot. Not getting drunk
smile.gif
, just "being in the same frame of mind". It's going to be a long day...
sleeping.gif

Redbull or Rockstar or Bawls (I prefer Bawls). Sleep all day then stay up all night and study. Take some Theobromine if you have some. Helps you concentrate (aswell as caffeine) and it a long-acting medium strength stimulent, unlike caffeine which is a short acting "strong" stimulent. Taurine is good, too.

Drink lots of coffee the morning before. I never really studied but when I had to cram I took lots of stimulents to stay up all night and read things over and over and over and over and over. Don't overdo it on the coffee or energy drinks or you'll crash.

Is this bad advice? Maybe. Unhealthy yeah but it always worked for me. Remember that that's just MY body and mind so what works for me might not work for you.

I don't study... if I did I'm sure I could pull all A B's right now I'm pretty much all across the board.. mostly C's and B's though. dunno what to tell you. I would say look at the stuff for 5 min's think about it for 3? I just remember theirs some pattern that helps you're mind remember it. Its something like that when i do study, its just been a while since I have really studied.

mine started yesterday. i had english yesterday and had geometry and Church History(catholic high school) they were easy. im a sophomore in all honors classes so they can be difficult. tomarrow i have Chemistry(which is probably going to be the easiest!)
Alex

The best thing is to understand what you are studying. Route memory is worthless. When you read something, make sure you understand it before moving on then write it out to exercise what you just learned and you should be good to go.
Spread your workload over a week instead of all in one night.
Staying up all one night re-reading something over and over again while juicing up your body on stimulants is a crash & burn method.
Being well-rested and understanding what you learned is possibly the best way to actually learn something in school instead of just passing tests...

Yeah he's right. It's not healthy and prolly not good for long-term memory.

Worked for me though. If you're just worried about getting an a and don't really care if you remember it (like spanish) that's what I did.

Doing it the healthy way IS best, though.

For me, reading and writing are some of the best solo study tools. I typically take fairly messy notes in class, then around test time I take my at-school notebooks and, using my texts for reference, I compile a condensed set of notes with the information I'll need for the exams or whatever I'm gearing up for. My in-class notes are fairly impractical for studying, but I save all of my revised notebooks because usually they're as good as a Cliff's Notes guide or the textbook itself. Also, having a bunch of handwritten notes on all sorts of topics gives me a big jump on open-note tests.
Another good method of studying is teaching. If you understand something well enough to teach it to someone else, chances are you know it. I try to find friends who are working on things that I'm studying or have already studied, and we discuss what we've learned, our setbacks, etc., or I'll tutor them in the skills that I'm trying to learn for myself. The act of explaining something requires the same type of thought processes you need to cogently answer questions, so it's really perfect practice for test-taking and public speaking. Along a similar vein, composing and practicing short speeches on the topics in question is another effective study method.
I think I would have to recommend against caffiene before your test. I know some people swear by caffiene, and I use to as well (before my ulcer at age 12,) but caffiene and other stimulants ultimately hamper your ability to concentrate and focus, and it also drives your metabolism up the wall, so eventually you'll crash if you don't keep up a steady dose. Certainly, don't overload on caffiene - a little might not totally hype you up, but you'll last longer if you use it sparingly. Better to focus on nutrition a few days in advance, and naturally condition your body, than to force things in the short term. Eat plenty of protien and complex carbohydrates, and make sure to get vitamins and amino acids. Salmon is a particularly good protien for studies, because it's lean and has a whole load of fatty acids and other nutrients that enhance brain function. Go for dark carbs for a few days before the test as well - brown or wild rice, whole-grain baked goods, sweet potatoes, etc. These types of foods contain carbohydrates that take longer to digest, which gives your body a more steady supply of sugar; sugar, in turn, is what provides your brain and the rest of your body with chemical energy. Avoid things like white bread, white rice, bleached flour, potatoes and other processed or simple starches. It sounds simplistic, but white carbohydrates are the ones to look out for. These types of carbs are simpler and break down much faster in your body, leading to sudden spikes and drops in your blood sugar level, which will wreak havoc on brain function. Minerals, as from green vegetables and vitamin supplements, are also important. Eat a nutritious, modestly sized breakfast on the day of the test, too - don't pig out, because that will put you to sleep, but be sure that your body isn't just running on fumes.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Dec. 13 2006,3:59)]I think I would have to recommend against caffiene before your test. I know some people swear by caffiene, and I use to as well (before my ulcer at age 12,) but caffiene and other stimulants ultimately hamper your ability to concentrate and focus, and it also drives your metabolism up the wall, so eventually you'll crash if you don't keep up a steady dose. Certainly, don't overload on caffiene - a little might not totally hype you up, but you'll last longer if you use it sparingly. Better to focus on nutrition a few days in advance, and naturally condition your body, than to force things in the short term. Eat plenty of protien and complex carbohydrates, and make sure to get vitamins and amino acids. Salmon is a particularly good protien for studies, because it's lean and has a whole load of fatty acids and other nutrients that enhance brain function. Go for dark carbs for a few days before the test as well - brown or wild rice, whole-grain baked goods, sweet potatoes, etc. These types of foods contain carbohydrates that take longer to digest, which gives your body a more steady supply of sugar; sugar, in turn, is what provides your brain and the rest of your body with chemical energy. Avoid things like white bread, white rice, bleached flour, potatoes and other processed or simple starches. It sounds simplistic, but white carbohydrates are the ones to look out for. These types of carbs are simpler and break down much faster in your body, leading to sudden spikes and drops in your blood sugar level, which will wreak havoc on brain function. Minerals, as from green vegetables and vitamin supplements, are also important. Eat a nutritious, modestly sized breakfast on the day of the test, too - don't pig out, because that will put you to sleep, but be sure that your body isn't just running on fumes.
~Joe
As someone who has Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar) I couldn't agree with you more. I have witnessed first-hand throughout my life what you have expressed and can say that it is indeed the truth. I find it much easier to concentrate and think clearly and consistantly when I control my blood sugar levels by eating correctly and avoiding Caffeine highs and the subsequent lows.
Well said Seedjar!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (joossa @ Dec. 13 2006,12:45)]There is no doubt that my Biology Lab course is causing me the most stress. It consists of taxonomy attributes of all major phyla in each domain and the morphology of specific organisms we have studied/dissected in lab (from methanogens to flowering plants).

for my lab practicals, especially Human Anatomy and Invertebrate Zoology, I found it VERY helpful to make flash cards. on one side I would do a sketch of the organism/body area (it doesn't need to be a great picture, just good enough for you to know what it is), and a red arrow pointing to the part that I needed to identify. (or, several arrows with numbers.) and on the other side write the name(s) of the part. you could also do things like taxonomic names on one side, and common names on the other side. this was useful in two ways...by making me able to verbally identify parts by sight, or by making sure I can visually identify something based on its name. they take a little while to make - set aside several hours and do a good job. but by the end, you'll already have a lot of the material down, and studying the rest will be a breeze. it really works...I'm AWFUL at names, and I still managed to do pretty well on these tests!

One thing I nearly forgot is the importance of exercise and taking breaks when studying. The average adult has an attention span of about 25 minutes, if I remember correctly. When you're studying and you begin to lose your focus, switch gears and do something else breifly. The ideal thing would be to change to a different subject and continue to study, but you can also do something less productive for a few minutes, so long as you can bring yourself to return to your studies afterwards. I like to practice on my guitar or saxophone while I'm studying or doing homework - it keeps my mind active and is a good way to stretch my hands, as they tend to cramp up when I write or type. Physical and mental exercise are also very important to cognitive function. Most people find that they have a much easier time learning, focusing and working when their everyday routines include a moderate amount of physical exercise and mental stimulus. The human body is built to do a lot of different things each day, not the same thing over and over. So, avoid putting yourself in a situation where you must study non-stop for days on end, as ultimately it's a less efficient use of your time.
~Joe

I finally learn good study habits when I was a junior in college. I'm NOT one of those people who could avoid classes until exam time. Nor am I adept at allnighters or reading chapter after chapter.

What I found most effective (at least for me), was to read my classnotes in those 10 and 15 minute intervals befor and after classes. Whenever I set aside 2 or 3 hour block times to study, the time gets frittered away. Another thing that happens is that the attention span goes away after the first 15 minutes / half hour. I can read the words, but by then, I'm off if fantasyland - football.... the girl I'd like to date.... music..... But there were a whole mess of 10 & 15 minute times that otherwise would get wasted. So whenever I had them throughout the course of the day, I'd read. That way I got constant repetition when my attention span was at my best. By the time the exams came around - I was ready. And I didn't forget the material the day after. And I even retained a lot of it for the finals. I didn't have to mess up my sleep and believe it or not, I still had plenty of fun time, for chess, ping-pong, tennis, football, Scrabble....

Oh yeah, I also wrote out a daily schedule. Not that any day went exactly as I planned it... but it was a good useful tool that ensured that no class, exam, meeting, got missed.

Yeah! I just finished my Biology Lab Practical!
I reviewed until 11PM went to bed, reviewed for an hour and a half before lab started, and drank a diet pepsi. I think I did pretty well. The starfish anatomy really killed me though (stupid tube-feet and ambulacral groove!).

i'm not normally a caffiene junkie but i have to say, in a pinch, it's some goooood stuff. but as somebody already said, it's better to take a test in the same state you studied in.. i wouldn't *really* recommend alcohol (as my psych professor put it... "Yeah, you'd do better taking the test drunk if you studied drunk, but it'd be a difference of getting 2 questions right out of 10 instead of 1") but it is a real phenomenon and it applies to caffiene. so if you're up and caffienated all night, make sure you grab some Starbucks before the test ;) (totally downed about 4 bottled frappucinos last night panicking over animal physiology). studying wise, no matter what the topic, reread your notes/text then work through problems and practice questions; they help cement the info in your mind like nothing else. and for rote memorization stuff, flashcards are a must. if you ever had to/have to take organic chemistry, you know what i mean.

Caffeine and theobromine really do help you concentrate.

Some people take Alzheimer's medication (i'm not making this up) to make them concentrate better and get an edge in the corporate world. A study (read it in mens health a while ago) found that a 400-600 Mg dose of caffeine was as good as a dose of Alzheimer's medication.

Back