What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this Growing Medium?

• Thread starter Acro
  • Start date
It looks as though this Nepenthesis growing in gravel? Am I seeing this right, what medium is that?

77006855984e59eda4bb1ee522f403e8.jpg

Looks like fish gravel. I wonder if it has a sphagnum layer below it?

Where is the photo from? Is it someone you can ask ... or could it be a random person who bought a Nep with no idea of what to do with it and posted a photo online?

It might just be a thin layer of gravel over something else, as Pittsy said, but fine gravel might be a good growing medium if growing conditions are tightly controlled, although the Nep could be dead in an afternoon if conditions aren't. I grow Sarrs in pots of 1" wood chips sitting in water. It works here in the NE US, but probably would fail in a hotter, drier place unless some kind of water flow could be maintained.

I had some rupicolous Laelias back in my orchid days, a type that grows in the gravel and debris in cracks in open Brazilian bedrock, and I grew them in little clay pots of fine gravel. They looked really cool growing like that.

I would also say gravel or, perhaps, a LECA analog.

From what I can see, this material is the only material being used.

Photo is from CPPhotoFinder, when I looked up N. ampullaria. Found the photo and thought the substrate looked like gravel. Thought it was odd, so I brought it to the forum!

Hello, the medium in the photo is called Kanuma, (that orange color and shape is the tell tale look of it) it is a Japanese substrate mined out of the mountains (then baked & sifted) and typically used for bonsai. It is commonly used for "acidic loving plants" however this is often debated, and I don't think its actually leaning on the acidic side, but rather more just a good buffer. It comes in a few different sized grits. Its good for both maintaining moisture and providing drainage.

I was recommended using it for darlingtonia, but I'm sure it would work good for sarrs and other stuff too.
I have never heard of nepenthes being grown in it (I don't grow neps), but that plant looks pretty healthy in it.

From what I've read, it is basicly a form of light weight pumice and for all intents and purposes is quite similar to perlite. (Including perlite's irritating "float to the surface" tendencies.) Here's a link that talks about it --- Kanuma soil.

Back