What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the most responsive

I would like to know what sundews have the quickest response to touch, ones that move so fast that they are almost comparable to VFT reflexes.

I'm not sure if there are any that are THAT fast, but some of the quickest are capensis and burmanii, methinks. Each can engulf an insect in a minute, I think.

Definately burmanii is up there like Capensis said, I also think sessilifolia is a fast one. If you go on youtube they have quite a bit of fast moving sundew tentacles. glanduligera is fast too.

Drosera glanduligera holds the record for the fastest moving tentacles - 1/10th of a second - the same speed as Dionaea - a hundred times faster than D. burmanii and D. sessilifolia. This is due to the "hinge" in the so-called "snap tentacles" of D. glanduligera.

http://www.hartmeyer.de/ArtikelundBerichte/artsnaptent_GB.htm

Hmm, very interesting.

yep. the glanduligera "hinge" is set like a mouse trap. from what i hear they are tough to grow though.

Alex

Some of the pygmy species are really fast too...try pygmaea which is way more faster than my burmanii.
If you blink ...you miss it!

Burmannii, sessilifolia, glanduligera, and several pygmys have some of the fastest tentacles, while D. regia and Capensis hace the most impressive leaf movement. D. Glanduligera has those infamous 'snap' tentacles, but I think I heard someone say that seedlings of D. Binata will have them too sometimes.??? I have noticed them on the baby D. Burmannii that're just coming up also.

If you want to grow one of the speedy ones, burmannii is an easy, accessible choice. If you tease the tentacles with a toothpick or something, you can watch the outer tentacles fold in quickly. As Aslan said, D. capensis has some of the most impressive leaf folding and is very easy to grow.

Jason

"Sundews with mostly tentacle movement, and little or no leaf movement inlude: D. binata, and the Queensland sundews (mainly D. prolifera and D. schizandra)."

Maybe i'm reading this wrong....but are you saying that prolifera does not have a dramatic leaf movement?!
It's from your page CPlantaholic.

Mark, you bring up a good point. I have only been feeding them little amounts of food, since they're being grown in terraria. I suppose that if I were able to feed them large amounts of food without it molding, like I do my D. capensis, that there would probably be a much larger response by the leaf. I will have to edit that page soon.

Back