What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is the easiest way to clone d. aliciae?

my friend wants a leaf pulling from aliciae and put them in rock wool
but ive tried leaf pullings before and never had success. should i use a root hormone?

I've used root cuttings. When I transplant my Aliciae, I cut off several pieces of roots and place them in a moist, sunny environment. I've gotten about two baby Aliciaes this way.

Hmmm I have not personally done this species but it's on the list as working with leaf water propagation over here.

Hmm... never heard of growing them in rock wool before. It'll be an interesting experiment. As for leaf propagation, I didn't have luck with D. aliciae cuttings except for fully grown plants- when the leaves are most robust. Otherwise, they just kind of fizzle out. I also usually try to get as much of the leaf off from the plant as I can. I used the water-floating technique.

is root cuttings a lot easier to do?

As soon as Photobucket is up and running again, I'll post a pot that is covered with baby D. aliciae, started from seeds. That works VERY well. Leaves are best for plants like Mexican butterworts, D. binata, D. filiformis,...

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Picture078.jpg

Yes, root cuttings are much easier. D. aliciae has very long roots.

Very nice work Jim, they look great!

That's awesome Jim!

Back