What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is aflicting my D. aliciae?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
And how do I deal with it?

Picture013-7.jpg

Aphids, you can see a couple of them at 9 o'clock. A systemic insecticide like Imidacloprid works for me. Try Bayer's Rose and Flower insect killer.

The drowning method might work. Neem oil should not be used on distressed plants.

I've drowned them before and this is the first time it failed. I just bought Schultz Garden Safe spray. There are no directions for use on the label. How much do I use? Do I apply it the leaves or soil or both? Do I repeat application after a certain amount of time? What's the white flecks that I see?

You can use ortho, dews hate it and will take some time for them to recover.

That's the Fungicide3 (Neem Oil)? The instructions should be under a peel back label.

Basically spray all surfaces until runoff (apply liberally). Note you have to spray top and bottom of the leaves. Repeat twice a week for two weeks then spray once a week for at least another two weeks.

It's a "contact" pesticide that seals the breathing holes of the insects and the slight film of oil gums up the mouth parts. Since it is a low persistence oil it evaporates in a few days. Don't expect to see the insects dying a fast twitching death as they would with Raid - Neem oil doesn't work that way.

If you're afraid to use the Neem oil you can try rubbing alcohol. I dipped a capensis in isopropyl that broke out swarming with aphids a week or so after bringing it home . The alcohol seemed to do the trick.
(Then the cottonwood trees dumped all summer and finally finished off that pesky capensis! :()

I applied it. Now I just wait a few days and do it again, if necessary.

I would spray it again regardless. My Drosera filiformis var filiformis "Florida Giant" came infested with aphids. It took several weeks of spraying to get rid of them. There's a little groove on the leaves that the aphids were in to avoid the traps.

Right now, these plants look like "death warmed over". All dew is gone. The only good aphid is a dead one! Death to aphids!

Jim I have reasonable success using 70% percent ethanol. I have never seen adverse affects from the plant following its use.

I frequently use it on my mature drosophyllum for treatment of mealybugs. I also use it on spatulata, capensis, binata, dielsiana.

I just spot spray the plant especially around the new growth.

Thanks, Blake. I can actually get some Ethanol from the lab... if they let me. For now, though, I'm going to continue with the Garden Safe. They look horrible!

Back