What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are these bugs on my plants, and are they a problem?

• Thread starter Yossu
  • Start date
I have a load of Sarra seedlings growing (germinated this spring), mainly between 1cm and 2cm tall, and quite a few of them have little white bugs on them. Was hard to get a decent picture, so I'm not sure if this is any help...

161226Bugs.jpg

Are these a problem? With a normal plant I would spray with some bug killer, but I'm not sure if the excess liquid that dripped onto the peat woudl be a problem for CPs, and I'm also wary of spraying such small plants.

Any advice? Thanks

It is quite blurry but looks a bit like aphids. It's definitely something chewing on the plants though, and will cause deformed pitchers if allowed to continue. There's a thread around here somewhere about safe pesticides for CPs.

Thanks for that. Neem oil seems to be a good choice, mainly because it's organic. eBay has quite a selection at reasonable prices. Might give it a go.

Thanks again.

I would submerge the plants, first, if possible. That knocks out a good part of the adult population, initially. Then I would apply Neem Oil, as that is supposed to deal with future generations. Neep has the effect of making them forget to eat and reproduce.

Back