What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western snowberry seeds

Finch

Whats it to ya?
.These are seeds of the Western Snowberry shrub, Symphoricarpos occidentalis.

Western Snowberry is a thicket forming, root-sprouting shrub 1 to 3+ feet tall with upright or slightly spreading branches. If left to its own devices, it will choose to become a dense thicket. Clusters of pinkish white bell-shaped flowers appear from June through July and for small, white round fruits. These fruits are interesting in that they are not available all at once, but ripen progressively through fall to late winter, persisting on the plant for long periods of time since all berries cant be eaten at once.

Western snowberry occupies an extensive range from British Columbia south to northwest oklahoma, Utah and Washington. It is sometime planted in Britain for game cover. The berries are not especially sought by wildlife, allowing for a long display, but it is used for cover and nesting extensivly. Somewhat abundant in this state, I would rate our ecotype (wildguess) no hardier south than zone 6 and can be stretched to zone 3, possibly. This plant is alone and self pollinated. I have never attempted to grow these seeds and have no idea aboutthe sucess rate of the, and they will need fall stratification. They are a pain in the butt to get out of the fruits, but im wiling to give 10 seeds each to anyone interested.

I am attempting the grow this as a ornamental. I am satisfied with it thus far though it suckers and the inside should be pruned to the ground if it becomes ragged.

Its interesting to note that in the Northern Great Plains, Northern Harrier nests are often associated with western snowberry. Nests located in western North Dakota were in 0.05-0.5 ha clumps of western snowberry or snowberry/other shrub

bump
smile.gif

Back