What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

went to see a new surgeon about my knees

travelled a 700 mile round trip to see a surgeon this week about my knees. he looked over my knees and couldnt see any major problems that would cause what i describe or what is in the surgeons notes from the 3 previous surgeries between the two of knees, few things that there might be a 1000-1 shot at causing an issue. so he orders a new set of xrays since alot can happen in the 2 years since the last....looked through 3 different views...nothing stands out as an issue. gets to the last xray, the one that looks down and into the space behind the knee caps. well hell theres the problem. the "V" notch at the end of my femur is quite shallow which allows my quad muscle to pretty easily pull my knee cap to the outside so that it rides more on a ridge than in the notch where its supposed to be. there is only a 15 degree difference between the angle of the femur and that of the tib/fib....they dont get concerned unless its 20 or over. 3 parts of the quad pulls up on the knee cap, one part pulls it to center, because of the angle between the femur and tib/fib by pulling upon the knee cap the quad also pulls the knee cap to the outside. he said basically had some one sat yah down and told yah 10 or more years ago to strengthen that one part of the quad that keeps the knee cap centered, and happens to be really weak on me, i more than likely would NEVER have had any issues.

so he gave me some exercizes to do, told me to stay off an exercize bike as it only strengthens the part of the quad that is already good and does nothing for the other.....exercize bikes are great for most knee problems EXCEPT for a patella tracking problem like i have.....it will only aggrivate it. all other docs ive seen have told me to use an exersize bike to help out my knees

after getting done with the doc i called one of my sisters who happens to be a physical therapy assistant and she gave me a few more exercizes to do.....

as i said i dont know weither to be happy as hell that im not looking at any more surgeries and should be mostly pain free in about 3 or 4 months..............or pissed about the 10 years of hell cause though every doc i have seen has told me my knee caps are a lil off not one suggested that it could be the problem or that i could strengthen the muscle that could pull it back into the right place.....

I know a old couple(they own the tree farm) there major joints are replaced,
knees,shoulders and hips from limes man that musta been crazy getting 2 knees replaced and a hip at the same time.......

actually from what ive been told if you need both knees replaced its best to do them at the same time cause either your going to be mad you didnt OR you will flat out refuse to put yourself through that pain again and never get the other done

My mom had one done earlier this year and said never again. But she'll reconsider if the remaining original gets as bad as the other had been.

That's an impressive surgeon you found. It would have been easy to tell you that they need replacement and it's a rare one who'll recommend PT instead. I hope it works.

At least you have a positive direction to be going in now, no sense dwelling on the past. Shoot you'll be back in shape in no time !

Back