What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We got a new comp and vista, and I'd like some tips

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
You are only scraping the tip of an iceberg if you upgraded to Vista for Aero visual effects. Sure it may look and feel a lot like XP (which was done on purpose to not alienate people), however the OS was written from ground up.

Was it though? I think the navigation was written from the ground up, and many things tightened up, but a lot of stuff under the hood is the same, such as the registry.

And like I said - if it was written from the ground up, why are there Windows 95 files in there, complete with blocky icons?

puke...Linux is horrible. Its wayyy too confusing and 95% is pointless nonsense (Knoppix at least). Plus, if linux were so good...there would be a bunch of good programs for it...and linux builds wouldn't have windows emulators...

Haven't tried vista, and yeah windows has its problems, but its not 1991 anymore so no linux for me.

I wouldn't have anything against mac if it werent so trendy...thats the only reason people have them nowadays. Apple likes to use inferior hardware (in ipods at least) and its goods are way too expensive

I wouldn't have anything against mac if it werent so trendy...thats the only reason people have them nowadays. Apple likes to use inferior hardware (in ipods at least) and its goods are way too expensive

You hit some nails on the head. Not only is the hardware expensive it is pretty much monopolized. While OSX has some better UIs than Windows, it lacks in other areas such as gaming.

What do you expect from Linux? It's a tinkerer's OS. I think you suffered from a bad choice of distro. Knoppix is a Linux for people who don't want to actually keep Linux on their machine; it's a disc you throw in the drive when your normal OS breaks down Everything is on the disc, so even if you whole hard drive is shot, you can do a hardware check, get online and print off some documentation before fixing your drive. There are TONS of good programs for Linux, they're just not consumer-oriented. I can think of dozens of science, engineering, and arts apps for POSIX systems that are indispensable - this server is probably running a POSIX OS, or at the very least a POSIX-compliant Windows code library. If somebody knew enough about Windows to write a Windows emulator, why would they bother to use something so inferior as a Linux box? Probably because some people have better things to do than throw endless amounts of time and money into a machine that's supposed to make their life simpler.
There are a decent share of games on Linux, if a little dated in some regards - there are clones of a lot of popular TBS/RTS games in particular. Nerds are easily amused and not always the best graphic artists, so you have to take these homebrew games with a grain of salt, but there's some good stuff out there. And no other platform gets working emulators faster. POSIX OSes run on so many types of hardware it's difficult for a conventional game studio to write a game and call it 'Linux compatible.' Properly installed, it's a very capable OS, but you need to take some time to learn how it works before you can make it do any cool stuff, and it's not econmically feasable to rely on consumers to do that. Most people with a Linux box have access to a souped-up Windows machine for gaming, so it's usually a nonissue anyways.
As for Apple's inferior hardware... how have the problems with Apple been any different that the ones with Dell, Sony, HP, Toshiba, etc.? If you look, all the big computer brands buy the same parts for their machines - whatever model China manufactures cheapest. Higher prices are the kiss of death to consumer electronics; people won't buy your junk if the other guys' junk does the same thing for $50 less. You see runs of faulty gear all the time. It's really not uncommon, and certainly not limited to single brand.
~Joe

Being a smaller company, and having to produce its own custom made hardware and OS, Apple needs to put a higher markup on its products. It can justify this with good product design and has built up a more upmarket brand for itself.

Before 1998, Apple churned out nasty beige boxes and nearly went under.

Back