What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water hyacinth flowers

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
I just love these flowers!

9411878313_20facde389_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9411878357_534fb25c4b_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9411878389_7f940083ae_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Nice pics! Few plants better illustrate the concept that one man's weed is another man's wildflower than that one.

So pretty! It makes them even prettier considering that growing them here in the NW US takes a bit of doing.

Cool; too bad they're invasive. I see them on the levy near my home... they're taking over, but not as fast as duckweed:)

Nice pics! Few plants better illustrate the concept that one man's weed is another man's wildflower than that one.

Thank you. LOL, "one man's weed is another man's wildflower" is so true.

So pretty! It makes them even prettier considering that growing them here in the NW US takes a bit of doing.

Yeah, they really don't like our climate other than a few short months of the year. Get them too early in spring and they die, and by the end of September they are toast with the cooler temps.

Cool; too bad they're invasive. I see them on the levy near my home... they're taking over, but not as fast as duckweed:)

They are annuals here in the PNW and die out in early fall. During the growing season though, they do multiply quickly. They make excellent natural water filters for ponds and help keep algea under control. I have not been able to keep one alive in the house over winter.

Nice flowers! I've seen the plants on many occasions, but never the flowers before. A buddy of mine used to over winter a number of them in his greenhouse. Eventually, heating costs got too great so he closed the gh down. If I'm recalling correctly, he still managed to overwinter a few plants indoors in a lighted fish tank to "seed" his outdoor pond come warm weather.

A beautiful, yet highly invasive flower? Sounds like something I'm growing!

Those are some amazing blossoms! You make me want to grow something other than lily pads in my pond.

Water hyacinth are great in ponds! I have them in mine. Soaks up nutrients like nobody's business. And with those flowers who can resist them! They will grow in lower light than lilies, too.

Back