What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water germination

I was wondering why more venusflytrap seeds/sundew seeds grow faster or has a higher percentage in water than soil? Is it only me? Thanks in advance
I would think that the appearance of improved germination is due to the germination environment provided by seeds floating on water surface tension, the absence of damping-off pathogens, and ease of observation - without distraction.

Seed sown in media, is usually, more affected by competing organisms, fluctuations in moisture levels, obfuscation by the media components, and other affects of the media.
Last edited:
But you could still try a controlled experiment and see what happens...
I tried out. Here's my conclusion:
Day 1- Fresh 25 flytrap seeds placed on top of soil and the other in pure water.
Day 12- 3 roots emerged from the soil while 17 roots emerged in water.
Very nice preliminary results. I'm quite interested in seeing how things develop. At what point will you be transferring the water sprouted seeds to media?

Back in the late 1980's, while I was germinating various CP seeds by in vitro culture. I had pre-soaked some Byblis liniflora seed in hot water (for about 12 hours), then as I poured them onto a piece of filter paper, folded into a funnel, I noticed that a little bit of dark purple pigment was leaching out of the seeds and into the filter paper. My next step was to rinse them with a bleach solution (to surface sterilize them before transferring them to sterile media). So, I watched carefully as I began adding the bleach. I think I expected the purple pigment to disappear as it was contacted by the bleach, but I was surprised that the bleach seemed to only help the pigment to move from the seeds (testa - seed coats) to the filter paper, and the seeds kept getting lighter, as the filter paper darkened with the migrating purple pigment. Eventually, the testa became translucent. I then transferred the seed to a fresh, sterile, filter paper, and rinsed them with sterilized water, to remove any bleach residue, before placing them on the surface of agar solidified, 1/2 strength orchid germination media.

I thought I might have killed these seed, but kept my usual close watch over them. I was pleasantly surprised when they all began germinating within just a few hours (noted by the radical emerging from the seed). What you have reported in your experiment.

I know that other species in the Byblis genus can be difficult to germinate, due to intrinsic germination inhibitors in their testa, so I've always wondered if this same technique, might be effective with them, too. Hopefully someday someone will be able to test that hypothesis.
I didn't use bleach. I placed them on peat moss right after I saw their first fake leaves. I'll love to test out the Byblis soon. Thanks