What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water CP's?

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
Is there any water CP's I can have in my piranha tank? That would be sweet to have. They would have to be able to survive with all the nutrients that I have to put in for the other plants in there. They would have 80 watts with a 94.5 CRI on each of the bulbs.

Gibba, macrohyza, and stygia come to mind as quatic CP's, but I don't know how they will interact with a piranha. Maybe if you kept the plants in the outside filter?

I could maybe get something that hangs on the wall that would keep the piranhas out like something you would do for a betta or something. Then I could add some peat to take the water more acidic.

I'm thinking it's time to get a second tank. The piranhas are getting in the way of progress!

If they're Pacu they'll eat the plants. If they're true carnivorous piranha (which I'm not sure about, concerning the legality of them), they won't mess with the plants.

I'm guessing Red Bellied, because at the mention of getting Plecostomus, in a different topic, there was reference to bones being leftover.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Yea they are real red-bellied piranhas. I started with six of them but now I'm down to three. I also did some research on piranhas and pacus so I know what the difference is. I live in Wisconson so they have no piranha bans because the water here is too cold for them to live. Down south they are banned because it is right temp for them to live.

I do have second tank but it's the home to my tiger oscars. They really hate plants. They uprooted them all the time so I took them out and put them in the piranha tank. Plus, I think they would be better in with the piranha tank because of the better lighting.

You need a third tank! You need one just for the feeders, right? That can double as your aquatic Utrics experiment.

I had a Red Bellied piranha for a few years. After I traded him away I got an Oscar. I did not keep the Oscar long, after having a piranha that really rips into his food, it was boring to watch the scar inhale the food.

I have a couple extra 10 gallon tanks but I'm not sure how good of lighting I would need for these. Do they need a dorment period?

most aquatic plants can make do with about 2.2 watts of flourescent light per gallon.

Coralife makes some awesome power compact fixtures that aren't that expensive, but you can get away with home depot and normal output bulbs if you don't mind it looking ugly.

Back