What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washing mulch

I'm changsing my nep mix to have cedar mulch and I was wondering if it's ok to use tap water to wash it. I don't want to use my good rain water just for that. What you think?

I'd wash/soak in tap, then give it s a quick rinse w/ RO. I've washed pots and stuff out with my tap water, which is 1031 ppm.

Or what about washing with tap then drying it out then let it soak in rain water?

Cool. I went and looked at what they had they had all thses different colors. Would that harm the plants somehow? I just want normal cedar mulch anyways.

Don't get anything that has coloring in it. It won't be good for your plants at all. You might not be able to avoid it though, which is where the 24hr soak comes in.

Where'd you go to look? Did you try Walmart? I think they have big bags of either cedar or fir for about $5.

Yeah I checked walmart and they had regular cedar in colors and then just normal. Is there a difference in fir or cedar?

I've used them both with roughly the same (good) results, so I don't really think so. I've always wondered about the terpines/aromatics in cedar, but they don't seem to effect neps for whatever reason.

It would'nt effect others like cephs, helis, or dews would it?

No clue, I don't grow anything but neps and an ant plant.

Never tried mulch in plants. Anyone tried cypress?

Lot of people (including myself) have mix with cypress mulch, either pure or as a component.

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with cypress mulch or red cypress if there is even a difference.

Try to smell them, and get the least aromatic one. I know the aromatic molecules can irritate small animals when used as bedding if not properly washed/soaked beforehand.

careful, some mulches are dyed with iron oxide to give it a red color... a little iron is fine and usually desirable, but that much would probably cause trace nutrient antagonism in Cp's

the "no additives" stuff is very common in my area, home improvement stores, grocery stores and even gas stations.. should be an easy find

Av

Wow...so there's actually a commercial use for rust? Interesting!

its also a good oxidizer to mix with a little aluminum powder, contained it makes a nice IED ;)

I'm getting it at home depot. Any problems with the stuff they sell.

J,

you will probably find an assortment, some dyed... some not, some bark only, some not..

personally, I prefer the bark only.. but I dont know if it really matters. I always assumed that the cypressene content would be higher in the bark.

The bark only is usually labeled as "premium"

Ive tried to find a reference where a comparison had been made but havent had any luck.

so ???
Av

Back