What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War on squirrels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course... bulfrogs can even eat sparrows

by hiding and suddenly lunging forewward when the bird takes a drink, opening its mouth very wide and shoving the food in with the help of its forelegs

i assume they, like other corvids with other nestling prey remove the nestling, fly to a perch, and shake the young to break its neck.

have you heard of the kea and kaka parrots preying on sheep?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Oct. 17 2004,6:54)]have you heard of the kea and kaka parrots preying on sheep?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
WHAT? I must know more about that... Also bluejays are awesome. They are my favorite bird. Any bird brave enough to attack people and Hawks multiple times larger then them and SUCCEED IN CHASING THEM OFF is a kickass bird in my book. Also Bluejays are pretty too. They are welcome in my yard anytime.

Heh, that was a funny site. One thing is, as far as traffic accidents go, you might as well just ignore the squirrel.

Its already well documented that squirrels will eat meat-be it birds eggs or baby birds-or other squirrels. That just makes them a bit more interesting to me in that they look cute and innocent but they have a meat tooth just like we do.  
smile_n_32.gif

Hummingbirds, btw, are also very aggresive...the normal quarreling aside, hummingbirds have been seen picking on migrating hawks.

I find this conversation rather humorous in that one could easily pick everyone in here(me included) apart from all we have said...such as guns being natural and guns with lasers not...etc etc.

smile.gif

Btw, has anyone else here seen melanistic or "black" squirrels?

I don't know about Black squirrels but here at Ohio State we have an albino squirrel that runs around campus. I've only seen him twice though.

Anyone hear of Mantises consuming hummingbirds?

Someone posted a link in my mantid thread if you wish to check it out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]SUCCEED IN CHASING THEM OFF is a kickass bird in my book

humming birds have driven off eagels perched too close to their
nest

its asumed Kea and kaka in prehistoric times assistthe 10-foot wingspan Haas's eagle brii=ng down their prey, the 10-foot tall extinct moas. With both the egal and the moas  becoming extinct with the colinization of new zealend by the  moalri (??) people,  they moved on to the next largest animal- introduced domestic stock

Not having the physical adaptations to kill prey, they simply GOUGE holes of flesh from the backs of domestic stock. However, altough documented, Instences of this occuering have always been very rare. Both species are strictly protected. this behavior has been seen less and less as the species continue to decline.

Too bad we don't have too many hummingbirds around here. I rather enjoy them as watching them fly looks just unreal.

I have experience with hummingbirds' aggressiveness. I used to watch them all the time from my living room in Mexico City, crowded around one feeder. Let me tell you the variety was stunning, but how they were hooked to that thing like a junkie was almost sickening. Great fun nonetheless.

Amori

I love hummingbirds
biggrin.gif
especially how they just seem to hover in the air and move effortlessly (sort of like those sci fi movies where you just think about moving and you magically move without actually moving)

theres this hummingbird that perches on my fingers and drinks hummingbird juice (or whatever its called) from my palm... pretty cool stuff!

my stupid retarded brother rescued a hummingbird. he came to us when we called him, liked to be around us, liked it when we gave him showers, etc..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Oct. 17 2004,11:49)]Too bad we don't have too many hummingbirds around here. I rather enjoy them as watching them fly looks just unreal.
Allosaur: Def wrong time of year for this, but hummingbird feeders or simply planting correct plants can do wonders.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 18 2004,11:48)](sort of like those sci fi movies where you just think about moving and you magically move without actually moving)
Actually, you really are moving, because even if you don't physically move and you just think about moving you technically DO physically move because even though you only made yourself move by THINKING about moving and not physcially moving a muscle you still technically physically moved because you technically moved even if you only thought about moving to make yourself move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back