What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wal-Mart Fly Trap

Peanut

I like this
So it's been YEARS since I've gotten into the hobby. I went to Walmart and they had VFT near the register. From what I seen they actually looked pretty good! The leaves were short and traps were dark red. I after about a week I still seen a few sitting there and they still had their dark red glow. Another week went by and there were about 5 left so I decided to pick one up. I chose the one with the most leaves and dark traps. They were doing pretty well for being in an AC environment indoors.

I placed them outside in the hot, humid, summer of Texas under full sunlight and distilled water, but it's been raining here about once a week so they've been well watered. It's been about 5 weeks and few of the traps started dying off and the red coloration went away, what gives??? I'm going to buy a few pots, some sphagnum peat moss and perlite for them today to see if they do any better. Is this normal? Will they get any better?

This picture was taken 3 weeks ago July 30th

These are taken today August 24th, you can see that the new traps are growing in shorter. Hopefully they come out nice and colorful.

Last edited:
Nice. Hopefully they do well for you.

Just make sure to not get any miracle grow stuff. That stuff is like poison.

Back