What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video of my mini-bog may 15

mabudon

Metal King
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFx5lMs_ahM

I live in the Niagara area in Canada, I took just a little clip of the progress of my plants yesterday and put it on youtube for anyone who cares to check it out. I will have the most flowers I've personally ever had this year out there, and will take some pics (sans "cage of course) when things really get going. The only 2 plants I can ID without pitchers in there are a giant S.flava "cuprea" and a small S.oreophila (which oddly enough I saved from a friends compost pile!!)

LOL! Which one is called Angela?

Did you leave it all planted just like that over the winter? You must get the same temps as me (Twin Cities) or colder if you live in Canada. Did you have to put a pile of mulch on it or did you just let the snow fall where it may? I've always stayed away from Sarrs cos I don't have a place to overwinter them but if I can make a big bog like that and just let it sit outside and have it come back I'm gonna do it! I'm so tired of my whiskey barrel full of Asian Lillies out front.

It sits right there all year long. If it gets dry in summer I water it, but besides that I don't do anything to it.

If you're going to do it, Josh, I'd recommend staying away from S.minor and purp venosa, but stuff like D.filiformis ssp filiformis and S.flava are totally fine out there. Mulch might help you if your bog is too far away from your house- mine is only a few feet from the foundation AND in between buildings so there's quite a bit of shelter. You should totally give it a shot tho, it's much easier than you'd think!!

Thanks Karl. I think I'm gonna try it, thanks for the tip on which species to avoid too!

My lilly barrel is between the garage and the condos so it usually does get sheltered from the main blast of the weather. My uncle said the lilies probably wouldn't come back but they've never went away they just get bigger every year and I don't do anything for them either unless they wilt then I go dump a pail of water with a spot of fertilizer on them about 3 times over the hottest parts of summer. Compare that with watering the Daturas almost every day.

That makes it sound like you're good to go, dude, and seriously, out of pretty much ALL cp's, growing temperate species in a mini-bog is bar-none the easiest thing you could do, in my opinion anyways. I must add VFTs to the "might not be the easiest thing in the world in this kind of setup and climate" to the list. I have had VERY poor luck with them in the bog and have lost every one I put out there- mulch might help but the freeze-thaw in the spring tends to wipe them out for me every year

Too bad you're south of the border or I'd see about getting you started, I still owe you for hooking me up with a few bands I was unaware of \m/

Back