What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT trap size determinants

What determines the size of the traps that a VFT produces? My VFT has traps bigger then a quarter but recently, its only been producing traps the sizes of dimes/pennies.

Is there something I did that caused it produce smaller traps and is there something I can do to encourge larger trap growth?

Well, if it was shocked, it's conditions changed (like temp, humidity, huge amount of light increase in a very short interval of time, I.E., under lights then straight outside with no acclimatisation process) root disturbance, recent transplanting, crowded roots (maybe?).

A lot of things!

oh, cause I got them from walmart and now they are in full sun without the weird dome, no other changes.

So More light+less humidity=smaller traps?

How long till they recover and continue to produce the awesome large traps again?

They are probably just adjusting to the new, better conditions. I bet the only reason the traps were so large at Wal-Mart is because they were trying to gather as much light as possible in such bad conditions. I assume the traps were green and slow moving when you first got them. Just make sure to give it the right lighting and it will grow to its previous size, probably more robustly given the conditions stores like Wal-Mart usually have them in.

No. More light = bigger traps. Humidity is over-rated but yes that is why. Mine did the same thing. It's probably something to do with tissue culture too, the leaves that it had on it it made while it was in TC, when it went to Wal-Mart it didn't make anything more. It'll be a long while until it makes those traps again.

^^^^^

453 posts since Mar 2007. That's like 5 a day. Where do you find the time to check on your plants?

^^^^^

453 posts since Mar 2007. That's like 5 a day. Where do you find the time to check on your plants?

It's easy.

But sorry for posting, the computer is just my thing.

I actually just noticed that my VFT's are FINALLY putting out huge traps. After a year and a half. So, just be patient, as with all other CP's.

A happy plant continues to put out bigger traps. That comes from adequate lighting, air, water, and stable conditions. When in shock they produce small traps.

Trap size is determined by a lot of factors. Genetics, amount of light, quality of conditions, and age of plant, etc. It could be hard to determine what might cause a change in growth pattern. Plants freshly out of a domed pot from Lowes or Walmart are TC'ed plants that have been grown in "perfect" conditions to promote the fastest growth so will have an adjustment phase to adapt to your growing environment.

VFTs do not have high humidity requirements but if you have taken it out of a plastic covered situation, you will need to slowly let it adjust to less humidity.

Remember...these don't grow in the Brazilian rain forest. They grow in coastal North Carolina. So humidity isn't a big requirement. Grow them outdoors and they will be fine.

Back