What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vft help!!!!

Hi my vft is dying while i am trying to acclimate it outside. should i acclimate it inside? some of the leaves are browning and the traps are browning, when i got it i repoted it in a perltie & peat medium and i saw that is has a pretty good root system. what should i do? i willl post pictures in a couple. thanks

:D You Buddhist mate? if so Namaste!
to get on topic dont worry just give it time to adjust in its new pot and media and should be ok

yes i am adam so back on topic theorectially it will live? should i still keep it outside or put in the house?

eh what were condition for indoors and wht are they outside (roughly?) they are pretty tough and should be fine just care for them regularly. might take a couple weeks at most.

indoor high: 85 farehieght Low: 55 farenhieght
Outside High 80 farenhieght outdoor low: 45 farenhiegh? i changes every day

any body else want to help me?? please! I want it to live and keep it alive do you guys need a pic?

:pics: :pics: is this n what you need? i will try to post on today or sunday, saturday i will be gone

If the roots and rhizome/korm are in good shape just put it outdoors under partial shade. Keep an inch or so of water in the tray and let it do its thing. It should pick up in a few weeks. Then move it to full sun.

If it dies, get another one at the 99 cent store and try again. No big deal.

ok
i have live spagnum that Warren gave me at the Lacps meeting and want to proptigate it how do i do that/ also i should post pics in about a 3 hours.

See av8tor1's page on Growing Sphagnum Moss

Just put it in a cup or on top of a pot. Keep it wet and give it plenty of light. You have to play with the light levels to get the speed of growth you want' Long skinny or short and fluffy. Just snip off bits now and then and spread it around. The secret is keeping it wet.

okay please wait for the pic , then you can decide

okay the vft is sill alive one of the leaf that it was making turned brown, what should i do? also the spagnum is dying i will post pics tomorrow, the vft when i got looked fabulous and to die for , tommorrow you will find out.

how can the sphagnum be dying? are you keeping it moist? just spray it every 2-3 hour or so if its drying up that fast. my sphagnum isnt dying, but its not perfect either. donno why yours is dying.where in california do you live in? i'm in los angeles, around hollywood area. i leave my sarracenia,and VFT outdoor all the time. they're doing great, they're not super bright red like all other peoples yet, but they have a red tint inside them now. i put my drosera in partial shade outdoor(i kinda hate it being filled with fungus gnat on their dews though, donno why, but i like a clean cp without bugs around it.

okay now i will post pictures: hopefully they work;if not i will post in flikr

her's the pics:( a bit blurry)

Looks ok to me. While it's not in great shape it looks like a plant that's coming out of dormancy or had been grown indoors under marginal conditions.

Just put it outside under partial shade for a couple weeks. You're getting a little light burn (red) at the bases of the leaves but no big deal. The first couple of sets of new leaves will probably be stunted or a bit deformed with crummy looking traps but after that it should take off.

Is that pure peat moss you have it in? Or did the peat just float up from top watering. If it's pure peat you have to be careful not to over water. Peat holds a lot of water and can look dry when it isn't. Touch test is recommended until you can judge how moist peat is by looking at it.

it is a mix of perlite and peat, the perlite can't be seen

im in houston and i have yet to actually acclimate a vft. i have not lost any vfts and i usually just throw it straight out in the full sun(from the death cubes). i was very surprised at how hardy these things really are. dont baby it, just set it where you want it and water it when the tray gets low.

~b

Is that pure peat moss you have it in? Or did the peat just float up from top watering. If it's pure peat you have to be careful not to over water. Peat holds a lot of water and can look dry when it isn't. Touch test is recommended until you can judge how moist peat is by looking at it.

OOOOH, then that's why my VFTs died! I never thought that VFTs can be over watered...I guess I mistaked that with Sarracenias.

OOOOH, then that's why my VFTs died! I never thought that VFTs can be over watered...I guess I mistaked that with Sarracenias.

From what I gather after reading these forums for months, you actually can't really overwater them. What you can do though is cause root rot by letting the roots sit in water saturated soil with no air/waterflow around them. Most people recommend you fill the water tray up, let the water get soaked up and let the water tray dry up before watering again just to be safe. However, you can submerge Venus Flytraps underwater for days on end. It happens from time to time in nature and they have evolved to cope with it. The only problem is it results in almost all of the traps closing with floating peatmoss getting caught in them. I recently did it for 2 days in a futile attempt to kill whatever was eating my plants (I'm now trying insecticide).

If you top water your plants root rot should not be a problem. I top water two of my pots since they do not have large/deep water trays and good drainage and do a water tray on the other one that does have good drainage. I will occasionally top water that one though just for the hell of it to get the water flowing down over the roots just as a precaution. Oddly enough, this pot has SPLIT down the side. Don't buy cheap bamboo pots. Mine was apparently too brittle and could not take the pressure of the watersoaked soil I guess.

Back