What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Germination!

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
I thought I saw a sprout last night and tonight confirmed it.

Seeds sown 2/25/07 after four weeks cold stratification in barely damp chopped NZ LFS. Sown onto Peat/Sand mix and sealed in plastic bag.

I decided to striate the seeds despite the consensus that it is not necessary. My rational being that the seeds were old (e.g. not planted immediately after ripening) and in nature would have spent a winter so striating them would might increase the chances of germination. Since several source say to give them the cold treatment it must not hurt.

Maybe if I get my hands on some more seeds and have some time on my hands I'll do a comparison of germination ratios striated vs unstriated seeds.

Are you growing them under lights? Mine under lights sprouted in about 3-4 weeks also. They are looking good now since they have been growing since October maybe.

Psssst Pm me with an address to send the seeds.
last years, 2006,I know, I pollinated them and harvested them

From my experience...I have tried fresh seeds and fresh seeds that have been stratified for 1 month. I found germination rates to be waaay better with the fresh non-stratified seeds.

Flytraps don't need stratificaction. The seeds fall to the ground in May and germinate shortly after. Carnivorous plant species' seeds that fall to ground in the fall are the ones that require stratification generally, such as sarracenia.

Darlingtonia doesn't require it too probably, at least I had good germination rates without stratifying (I tried this after seeing other cases with good rates without stratification).

Last year I had vfts germinating after 11 days, but winter was disastrous even with them indoors. My plans were to keep them under lights for the winter but no money. The last seedling died a few weeks ago... :-( I'm in for another try though :-D

Well as of yesterday I had a 91% germination rate. Not that a dozen seeds is a statistically significant sample but it's better than the 30-60% I'm getting with my Sarracenia seeds.

Dates are on photos DD MM YY

04390014.jpg

04390013.jpg

04360024.jpg

04360023-1.jpg

04360022.jpg

Yes I have got VFT seeds to germinate twice now. Last year I had them by the window over the winter and it took forever and then they died when I put them outside. This year I have them under grow lights and they look great. Nice sized clumps. These look better then my grown up plants did, only smaller. But as we all know I will bring them outside this year and over the winter they will die. That sucks but I'm used to it. Any suggestions on what I should to bring them outside?

Aww cute little buggers aren’t they? NotANumber, did you harvest the seed yourself from your own plant or did you purchase them?

I got them from the ICPS seedbank.

Back