What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Dormancy

Ok...I have been growing pitcher plants for a while and started growing VFT two years ago. I have noticed that the majority of my VFT for the most part stay green even in the winter. They are grown in a bog and stay outside year round in my zone 7 garden. I lightly mulch with pine needles, maybe a couple of inches. Anyone know why they don't turn black or is it normal for some to stay green but be dormant and others just to turn black.

Thanks!

During mild winters flytraps will keep their leaves and they could be green. It depends on how cold it gets. Snow will kill most of the above ground growth.

Hey another Virginia grower!

Yeah VFT's don't normally get black for us (or for me anyway). What I do is I take my plants and keep them well watered until the first frost then completely leave them alone other than putting them underneath our big rosemary bush. Even with no light and the cold temps they stay mostly green. Blackening here or there maybe but that's all. And for me, each spring they sprout back up again and are either twice as big or start clumping and grow like mad. So I honestly thinks it's just normal. I don't see why they would die back completely. Even when my bog-bowl was frozen solid for about a week and a half they stayed green... They really are little troopers.

Hope this helped,
-J.P.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah the two winters that I have grown VFT's some of the traps turned black but for the most part they stayed green and then took off really good again in april-may. I get the same clumping that you do.

Back