What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft dormancy in northern california?

P

platapus

I just recently purchased a couple of VFT (So Im a newbie). I live in the east (oakland) bay area of California. For their dormacy period I want to place the VFT in a open 20gallon aquarium in a spot in my backyard were they get about 5 hours of sun (when available) a day. I was going to fill the aquarium with about a 1/4"-1/2" of RO/DI water, and try to maintain that for next 3 months. (from NOV - FEB) Will this suffice?

Does anyone live in may area that uses this method for their VFT? I would like to hear how you go about it, and some of your opinions.

thanks

I lived in Berkeley for many years and had no problem with VFT dormancy with the plants growing both indoors on a cool window sill and outdoors. I think dormancy is partly induced by photoperiod. I would be careful to not keep the VFTs too wet in winter when the plants are dormant.

Hi Platapus.. Welcome to the forums

Skip the aquarium, you dont need it. Oaklands winters are not that much different than San Jose, just a little more rain is all. Just set the plants outside somewhere where it will be somewhat sheltered from the rain and the occasional frost and the plant will take care of the rest all on its own. Also cut back on the water while the plants are dormant. Keep the soil moist, but not wet. I fill my water trays to the usual 1/2 inch line and then wait till its been dry for a couple days before I fill them again.

Good luck
Steve

Thanks Steve / Bobz.

Steve - Do I have to worry about natual preditor s will they are dormant? ie:insects, cats, birds? Should I cover them with a screen or somthing?

Just add a 1/2 of water, let dy out, add more, for all 3 months, this will suffice?

Thanks for you help/.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Steve - Do I have to worry about natual preditor s will they are dormant? ie:insects, cats, birds? Should I cover them with a screen or somthing?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

No more than in the summer. When dormant, my plants sit on a table under an awning which protects them from things like slugs, but they are not covered in any way.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just add a 1/2 of water, let dy out, add more, for all 3 months, this will suffice?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. Thats basically how I water my plants year round although in the summer I do not let the trays sit dry for longer than overnight.

Good luck
Steve

Back