What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft cutting, traits?

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I'm growing 3 VFT's right now. I have 2 Typical and 1 Dente. They are grown in the same conditions. When I bought them they all had green traps. After about 2 months growing in full sun, the Dente now has light pink inside, 1 typical has almost no pink color, and my last typical has gotten a bright red firetruck color on the inside of the new traps.
Next year I want to make some leaf cutting of the 1 with the bright red traps. I do not think that there is enough time this season to try a cutting.

Now the question I have is this. When taking cutting of VFT's will the plants that form keep the same traits as the parent? Such as I would like more VFT's with the very red traps.

I will have to get a picture up on my website when most the bright red traps are open. There often closed with flies in them. My new avatar shows a unlucky fly in this plant from a day ago.

The leaf cutting would be a genetic twin to the parent, so yes it will have the same genotype of the parent and assuming the same growing conditions should eventually appear identical.

that is true but ocasionaly a mutant may apear caused by a abnormality in the growth tip(once the leaf forms one), dente actualy started as a mutation in tisue culture!
alien.gif

elgecko,
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Next year I want to make some leaf cutting of the 1 with the bright red traps. I do not think that there is enough time this season to try a cutting.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You can take a cutting now, no need to wait.  Since you can skip the first year of dormancy with these guys, it doesn't really matter when you take a cutting.  You'll get results in a few weeks (that is, IF you get results!
wink.gif
), I think it's roughly 3 to 6 weeks...maybe slightly longer sometimes, and then just let the little ones grow right through this winter, and next spring, summer and fall.  You can give them their first dormancy at the end of 2004.

smile.gif

Dente was found in the wild, not a TC occurance.

According to the Savage Garden, both 'Dente' and 'Dentata' are tissue culture mutations.

If my memory is correct, many mutations occur due to the chemicals used in tissue culture that make it possible for cells to mutate.

the nectarine was a mutant or "sport" off of a normal peach, same thing with "seedless oranges!

ok after reading that i think they MIGHT be right ,but am not thoroughly convinced.

Back