What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT advice and tips

You may come away with cilia on your palms!!!!! LOLOL!!!!!!!!

"Oh the HUMANITY!"

:-))

Tommyr, you just might develop trigger hairs on your palms! THEN WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

What did I tell you guys?? Instant cell growth--explained!! Thanks, Arthur!!!
This is kind of misleading. It's not really cell growth - indeed, it is growth in a semantic sense, but biologically, it's expansion due to water intake, like inflating a balloon. The cells are not dividing or increasing in mass due to metabolic activity:
Water enters the cells by osmosis. Since the cells have become unglued, they are able to expand as they take in water, and hence they grow.
I think we should spend less time arguing over words and specific accounts as they always seem to turn out as, "everyone's right in their own way," situations. After-school special moments were never really that insightful anyways.
~Joe

Seedman, lean over here so I can tweak your ear!!!!! Growth is growth, regardless of how you slice it. Granted, it is a matter of semantics, but even the article mentioned it as growing. So, to save us all the trouble, lets just go with that until we have a better way to explain it in layman's terms.
And Seedy One, do not play with your trigger hair!!!!!!!

Bah! If you're going to argue with me about reasons not to argue, then it's pointless. I'm not the one who lambasted CP_dude's explanation of his technique for sizing up traps. I was just pointing out that the two of you were pointing to the same phenomenon when you were arguing whether it was water uptake or growth, as it turns out to be growth _due to_ water uptake. Can't we all just get along?
~Joe

WHAT!!!!! A little terse are we not? You haven't been playin' with the trigger hair have you?? Could be why you are so grumpy! LOL!

Phbbt. You're not the only one who can be stubborn. ;P These types of things just always make me scratch my head.
~Joe

Nuff said, my friend! I'll behave now.

I had a fabulous innuendo going and you two spoil all of my saucy fun.

Look at this analogy. If you have a flat, dehydrated sponge and it absorbs water... sweet Jesus it just grew! No it did not go through mitosis but it still grew in size. See? I think calling it growth due water uptake is good and can make everyone happy. I guess we could call it expansion instead of growth.

By the way, I laughed my butt off to that after school special comments rotflmao!

But then the traps reopen not by contracting the expanded side, but by growing on the opposite side - so it is growth - the cellular fibers are made flexible by depleting calcium from them - they stretch - calcium is reabsorbed and they lose their flexibility and remain the new length. The plant must add new material to these fibers or else they would lose strength - but that could partially explain why the traps wear out.

Tommyr, you just might develop trigger hairs on your palms! THEN WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Well, I guess shaking your hand is out of the question then! I must be very careful when using the men's room though!

:-O

But then the traps reopen not by contracting the expanded side, but by growing on the opposite side - so it is growth - the cellular fibers are made flexible by depleting calcium from them - they stretch - calcium is reabsorbed and they lose their flexibility and remain the new length. The plant must add new material to these fibers or else they would lose strength - but that could partially explain why the traps wear out.

Where am I? I thought we were still talking about teasing the trigger hairs.

Man I'm slowly turning into my father.

I guess we could call it expansion instead of growth.

Exactly. And if we do, we can avoid arguments like, "Oh, it does it by drawing up water," "No, you're wrong, it does it by growing," "No, you're wrong, this here says that it takes in water in response to electrochemical activity," "Oh well, I meant it grows by taking up water." 40 posts later, we all feel warm and fuzzy. However, we could avoid all the animosity if people were more open to the idea of presenting what they know and looking into real evidence, rather than telling each other that they're wrong. I know Bugweed well enough to tell that he's just teasing and so I can play along, but I feel like there is an ongoing theme here of conflict and one-upmanship. This is supposed to be a place of learning and discussion, but I find a lot of people here become very standoffish and close-minded when their ideas are challenged, even in friendly and amenable manner, and it often results in really absurd, wasteful arguments that are often semantic at their core and have nothing to do with actual conflicts of belief. I'm here to learn and help others learn - I'm not here to impress you all with my breadth of knowledge. I just think that's an unproductive way to approach this forum, which is in essence a friendly endeavor, and I know it diminishes my experience here.
~Joe

Yeah huh? You OK? Have you been in my medicine cabinet? You know how I feel about people who go through my medicine cabinet......

I've never ever seen that at this particular forum. I get annoyed with people asking the same questions over and over without doing a search (If anyone is reading this... you will get your answer within 2 minutes by doing a search, while you have to wait on someone to reply to your thread , so search!) but I don't feel superior to them. Hell, I can't grow a Dionaea. If saying Dionaea rather than "Venus Flytrap" makes me elitist then sorry lol. I don't feel elite.

Another thing that really grinds my gears is when someone asks a question that is SO simple it's funny. If they would actually think about the question they wouldn't even need to ask it, but no. We're here for them so they don't have to think.

Lol, if I ever get "one-upman" tell me. Actually I'm not sure what that means... I wonder what you people think of me in general? I think "colorful" would be a nice way to put it lol.

Actually, I take it back. One time, ONE time I saw someone being elitist to another member, snottily elitist, and so I proceeded to jump on them and flame them and then a mod told them to stop being elitist (in more political words, naturally) and that was the end of the member. Never heard from again. The snobby don't fit in around here :)

And ANOTHER think that pisses me off is when you tell a stubborn newbie that what they are trying to do is not a recipe for success, and you tell them what the plants require but they don't listen so you try to tell them until you are blue in the face but they are still hellbent on doing things their way. Two weeks later, you get a thread saying "HELP! MY VFT IS DEAD!". See second paragraph.

And I hate it when people expect us to be mind readers, and they won't give us their growing conditions. And we ask and ask and they keep replying to us but absolutely REFUSE to tell us their conditions for some reason. It's like they are trying to keep it a secret from us.

Whoo! I see you reading this , Guest! Hurry up and join already!

"Runs off like and laughs hysterically like Daffy Duck"

aye caramba.... this thread is starting to scare me...
Alex

This thread or me? Lol. I needed to vent. That was nice. This reminds me of a song my Mindless Self Indulgence. 2 points if you can guess which one :)

never heard of them :D but nah..not you. everyones gotta vent...i have not so far surprisingly(to me) the thread its self is scaring me...
Alex

Back