What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

very, very good news...............

and your using that as a basis as why we shouldnt have firearms......can i have some of what your smoking?

and your using that as a basis as why we shouldnt have firearms......can i have some of what your smoking?

Is that in response to my post? I was just trying to lighten the mood a tad. I never said you shouldn't have firearms. I just don't think they belong on college campuses.

xvart.

i will repeat this fact one more time just to see if it sinks in....an insurance company is all about minimizing its risks and making a profit....my insurance company does not care if i have a gun in the house, does not care if i have 100 guns in the house, does not care if i have a safe to put them in or if i leave them laying around....why? cause accidental shootings in the home are so rare as to be a non-issue....however if i buy my girls a trampoline and put it up in the yard my insurance company will drop me because the risk of someone getting hurt or killed is to great......sit and think about that for awhile.........and i dont have some lil insurance company i have one of the big ones that is nation wide........

xvart...was in responce to Tropics, you hadnt posted when i started replying

My point is that individuals should try to avoid disasters, especially when those disasters may involve innocent people being injured or killed. Applying this point to your last statement, those who are experiencing confusion, acute psychosis, or delirium as a result of taking Digoxin (or even if they are not taking it) should not drive cars. I hope you agree.

So you don't agree (with the first quote)?

Tropics I do not agree with your first quote. Simply because those side effect are what can happen and not what always happen. Digoxin is prescribed for CHF. After the drug gets in the system the side effects are not all of those.

Do you realize some of side effect come from drugs your probably taking? These are the side effects of ibuprofen you know Motrin or Advil.

Headache (and most people take it for a headache!!!), dizziness (wow I sure want a dizzy person driving a car.), psycic disturbances(Thats it, you cannot drive when on Advil!! We don;t need a psycicly disturbed person driving.), amblyopia, blurred vision(You have to be able to see while driving!!), tinnitus, arrhythmias (Oh wow! We don't need your heart doing beating normally while driving do we?), edema, GI Bleeding, hepatitis, constipation, dyspepsia, nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, cystitis, hematauria, renal failure, rashes, blood dyscrasias, prolonged bleeding time, allergic reaction including anaphylaxis

This all came from Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses 9th edition look them up if you don't believe me. I dunno if you have seen the newest James Bond. They tried to poison him with digitalis. Thats Digoxin.

Now with those side effects do you think people should be driving when they are on Advil??

So the reasoning for your argument falls a little short.

I just gave the example of digoxin because it can be so deadly if not given properly.

JB, Which part of the quote do you disagree with?

* individuals should try to avoid disasters, especially when those disasters may involve innocent people being injured or killed.

* those who are experiencing confusion, acute psychosis, or delirium as a result of taking Digoxin (or even if they are not taking it) should not drive cars.

Or do you disagree with both parts?

an insurance company is all about minimizing its risks and making a profit....my insurance company does not care if i have a gun in the house, does not care if i have 100 guns in the house, does not care if i have a safe to put them in or if i leave them laying around

Homeowners insurance premiums account for the risk of accidental shooting. If there were no guns, there would be no accidental shootings, and insurance premiums would go down.

* individuals should try to avoid disasters, especially when those disasters may involve innocent people being injured or killed.

* those who are experiencing confusion, acute psychosis, or delirium as a result of taking Digoxin (or even if they are not taking it) should not drive cars.

Now that you mention it I disagree with both. Because the simple fact of driving alone leaves you seconds from disaster. Or the fact that your walking on the street. Everything has risks for disaster. Does that stop you from doing them? By just living your seconds from disaster and don't even know it. Unless of course you stay sitting in front of your computer all day and don't move, but even then your computer's power supply could short out and cause a fire.

I am not going to stop riding my motorcycle or anything you may think is risky just to avoid disaster. Because if its your time to come in contact with disaster you will. Nothing you can do about it.

And I just notice in my other reply I said I disagreed with your first quote. refuring to the first one right above my post.

At least phissionkorps understands insurance enough to acknowledge that insurance companies may recognize guns as posing a risk.

Now that you mention it I disagree with both.

How many other people disagree with the first quote, or either part of it?

this reasoning could be used to ban everything from cars to 5th floor walk up apartments...if this is how your going to argue for that banning of guns you arguing for stuffing everyone into a padded room for the rest of their lives.....i live in a part of the country where nearly every one has guns and the last shooting i can think of was when my uncle got shot 7 years ago cause some kid wasnt paying attention out hunting and he got peppered with bird shot......yet i can think of 20 deaths in the last 2 years due to cars.....one of which was caused by a woman who had a heart attack while driving and struck another car and killed the driver of the other car.......yet your not claiming ppl shouldnt have cars when they are a far greater danger than guns.....nearly every home here has a gun, nearly every home has atleast one car sometimes several.....yet no ones getting shot but ppl are dieing due to cars and no one is saying we need to ban cars

no chit sherlock, i and the wife have taken over the years medications that we cant drive on, i still take meds i cant drive on......yet no firearm in my house has ever been pointed at someone while i was on such drugs......if this is how your going to argue why we shouldnt have guns i have to think your on medication thats altering your mental status........

no chit sherlock

So the score so far is that JB disagrees with the entire quote, and rattler disagrees with only the first part of it. Anyone else disagree with the quote or either part of it?

I just don't think rates would go down because 1) accidental gun injuries are very low, and account for very little of the cost of homeowner's insurance. The money paid into those policies mostly covers things that are much, much more likely to happen, like natural disasters, crappy craftsmanship, or fire. 2) Insurance companies....lowering rates? Lol. If removing guns did lower the policy by, idk, $5 a month, which is negligible, they would probably say there is no point in lowering prices since the decrease is barely noticeable, and most importantly (for them), people are already used to paying the original price.

A pit bull would make your insurance go up more than a gun, but like I always say, it's not the dog, it's the owner. Same thing with guns. If you're a psychopath, you might kill someone....guns don't go around killing people on their own. However, if you're a psychopath and dead set (no pun intended) on killing someone, you're going to do it with whatever you can get your hands on, be it a gun, a knife, a pencil, a screwdriver, a hammer, etc. Or yes, even a car. However, I think you agree it would be absolutely ridiculous to ban all of those things just because they can be used to kill someone. Lots of serial killers don't even use guns.

I don't think anyone experiencing acute psychosis should be doing anything but sitting in a padded room. I have to disagree that people try to avoid danger though. Not only is there the whole "extreme sports" thing that it seems like everyone is into, but most people's attitude on dangerous things is, "hey, this might kill me...then again maybe not". If people tried to avoid putting themselves in dangerous situations, no one would ever drive anywhere.

Which part of the quote do you disagree with?

(A) individuals should try to avoid disasters, especially when those disasters may involve innocent people being injured or killed.

(B) those who are experiencing confusion, acute psychosis, or delirium as a result of taking Digoxin (or even if they are not taking it) should not drive cars.

Update: JB disagrees with (A) and (B). Rattler and phissionkorps disagree with (A).

Tropics I want some of the good stuff. Your off in left base someplace now.

I'm not giving any of this stuff to anyone with guns. Too dangerous. Anyone else disagree with the quote or either part of it?

Guns are a pretty trivial issue and I can't understand why so many people get so worked up about them, pro or con. The manufacturers and others who profit off them care a lot, but why do others participate? Lots of bigger problems are ignored while people argue over background checks and definitions of assault weapons.

It seems that JB, rattler, and phissionkorps compose a small minority. However, just to be sure, is there anyone else who disagrees with (A) or (B) below, or both?

(A) individuals should try to avoid disasters, especially when those disasters may involve innocent people being injured or killed.

(B) those who are experiencing confusion, acute psychosis, or delirium as a result of taking Digoxin (or even if they are not taking it) should not drive cars.

My 2 cents.
I haven't read all the posts. don't have the time
Guns don't kill people, people with guns do
I have had 2 guns unloaded in my closet for over 15 years, my kids, grown up now don't even know about them
jest like speed doesn't kill it is that sudden earth shattering stop and being thrown thru the windsheild , flipping ove 52 times without a seat belt on that kills people in autos, pick-ups 18 wheelers ,motorcycles ect
Closets are for guns ,clothes and old guitars, not people.

Back