What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very odd trade

Hello.
I'm looking for an egg (must be fertile) of a green iguana. I'm only looking for few of them.
Please PM me if you are interested.
Thanks.

Sorry, i'm fresh out of fertile green iguana eggs.
LOL, I couldn't resist. Sorry.
That is an odd request. I'm curious why you want an egg and not a live iguana?

cant ship a live reptile egg...........atleast not if you want it alive when it gets to you. there is EXTREAMLY few ppl captive breeding green iguanas, takes to much room and imports are to cheap for there to be any money in it. those who do it are doing it cause they love working with the animals and arent likely to ship a live egg.

back2eight, it's okay
smile.gif
I already have a live iguana who's fairly young.

rattler_mt, I just want to try hatch an egg:), so I can have more company and what I thought about shipping is you know chicken eggs that are freely produced from farm often hatches, and they sell those eggs in market labeled "organic" ; definetely, they are shipped from farm
smile.gif
So I thought I'll try iguana because I know some people who hatched chicks from egges from shops.
smile.gif

reptile eggs and bird eggs are two different situations. reptile eggs shouldnt be moved very much or the yolk will roll over on the embryo sufficating it. chicken eggs arent built the same. plus its alot easier to hatch a chicken than most lizards. chicken eggs are MUCH hardier

i can understand what you trying to do but it aint going to work, i highly doubt you would even be able to find an egg let alone talk someone into shipping it to yah

Just out of curiosity - how much room do you have?! I've got a 4-5' green iguana who lays eggs annually (much to my vet's dismay I must add though after quite a bit of reading, spaying her really isnt an option) and she's going to be moving into an 8x4x6 enclosure (while I'm at college) and afterwards when I move into my own house, she'll be getting her own room.

I cant even fathom raising baby igs, because they grow so quickly! Not that I'm criticizing, I've often though about finding a male to breed with her, but I also looked into the possibility of finding suitable homes for the babies, and at least where I'm at, not many people who want iguanas have the proper setup for them and think that a 55 will be fine for the iguanas life
smile_n_32.gif

remember rattler...if you get an iguana they will grow HUGE almost 5-6 ft in length!!!

its not me who wants one...........i have ZERO interest in Iggys. why would i want a vegitarian?
smile_n_32.gif

tekknoschtev, I already have an juvenile iguana that is grown in a huge aquarium and in a warm weather ( Like now), I free-roam my ig.

rattler_mt, I think you are right but it's worth to try after the discovery of way that eggs get shipped without yolks and things don't get mixed up.

Ok, I was just curious. eventually I hope to have my ig free roaming. Right now, she's a bit to agressive and curious to be free roaming but i plan on working on that so she can be free roaming, and her cage will more or less be home base for her to sleep at night.

How old is your current ig? Mine is about 3.5 years old. I get nervous about her at this time of the year - its egging season again.

I don't know my igus age. I got it last September but despite the fact that the last iguana I grew measured about 50cm when it was an year old, I guess mine supposed to be around 2, not more than 3
smile.gif

I have an 11 year old female iguana that is just under 5.5 ft. She spends all of her time on the screened porch, but I live in florida so the weather is fine for that. I had a male at one time, but the biting and cuts they inflicted on each other during the breeding season got to be too much, so one of them had to go. As for the eggs, I think shipping is definately out. I also raise tropical tortoises in my backyard (its a Fl thing) and have "killed" many eggs just by digging them out of the nest to put them in an incubator -yes I know they would hatch in the ground but we have that fire ant problem- and I'm very careful about keeping them in the same orientation and all, so I can only imagine what shipping would do to them.

I was in Cozumel last year and saw wild iguanas all over the place. It was cool. They eat them there.

i have bearded dragons eggs. Im serious but you couldnt ship them or a iguana egg. I had some iguana eggs and some turtles. I am a reptile breeder. the eggs have to be placed the exact position they are laid. Like the way the egg came out and is dug into the dirt is the way it goes.

My male iguana is 3 feet about and just turned 4 years old

My freind had one that died this winter that was a female about the same size. She died as binding of eggs. (had trouble laying eggs and eventually couldnt get them out) This was not known until she died. She laid 2 eggs but should off had 30.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (carnivorkid @ April 01 2006,11:39)]i have bearded dragons eggs. Im serious but you couldnt ship them or a iguana egg. I had some iguana eggs and some turtles. I am a reptile breeder. the eggs have to be placed the exact position they are laid. Like the way the egg came out and is dug into the dirt is the way it goes.

My male iguana is 3 feet about and just turned 4 years old

My freind had one that died this winter that was a female about the same size. She died as binding of eggs. (had trouble laying eggs and eventually couldnt get them out) This was not known until she died. She laid 2 eggs but should off had 30.
To tell you the truth we were really concerned with mine, and then one day, BAM, there were 38 eggs. Based on the size, I coudlnt believe that they all fit inside her. She's done it every year, and is starting to look a bit portly right now, so methinks its about time again.

Didnt know about the eggs though (when attempting to hatch them). Always good to know, even if not breeding one, but for use(ful/less) information.

Okay, so overall, it's impossible to ship eggs... I guess I have to satisfy with my ig
smile.gif

Impossible to ship the eggs, but not hatchlings... but I wouldn't be enthused about shipping those, either.

Back