What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very large gator

Regarding this image, it is more likely merely a bit of "trick photography" than being photoshopped. Most reporters carry extremely wide angle lenses on their cameras, allowing for close focus head shots of fleeing politicians. Such lenses produce a dynamic composition that is exciting and good for front page coverage. In contrast, longer lenses produce pleasing, but static perspectives more suitable for portraiture.

BUT...another use of short lenses is that you can get close to subjects and make them look REALLY BIG in comparison to the background. We've all seen advertising photography of people holding out cell phones (or ipods, etc), where they have tiny feet, big heads, and a huge cell phone in your face? Same principle. No software required, just a short focus lens set at hyperfocal distance.

Later!

Barry

It doesn't look like it was taken with a wide angle lens.  I see no distortion or extreme perspective.  There appears to be quite a bit of space between lens and aligator. I would say the aligator was taken with a telephoto lens.  I can see the tip of it's nose and bottom of it's tail.  If it was a wide angle or fish eye lens, the aligator would be severely distorted. Everything seems normal except for the Photoshopped aligator.  Somebody explain to me how a dead limp aligator is able to curve it's tail upwards.  Don't say rigor mortis, none of it's limbs seem stiff.

Here's an example of size distortion using a wide angle lens.  Photos taken with wide angle lenses are very easy to spot.  Look at the guy on the left, his head looks flat, that's one of the telltale signs of wide angle.
04_G.jpg

Back