What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VERY ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!

I especially liked the part about getting a free e-book and one of the chapters covered conservation lmao.

at the bottom right under where you enter in your bid it gives a link to report it. I just did and had a problem with selecting a subtopic but then I clicked off and reselected and it's all cool now. Just sent them an e mail and telling it's against CITES.

Wonder we he got the other seed he's selling.

reported the item... is it illegal to sell between canadians? its ok to trade other Cites I plants in the UK. or so ive seen.
Alex

From the feedback for this seller he's sold at least 5 packets of S. oreophila in previous auctions.

Okay, I reported 8 auction items where this guy was selling or sold S. oreophila seeds to eBay as "Items containing parts of regulated, protected, or endangered species"

I also sent an email to wildlife.enforcement@ec.gc.ca which is the Enforcement Authority for Canada which is listed on the CITES website.

Last edited:
I also reported him.

Hope he gets eaten by a giant sar.

Yes! Let's organize! I have also reported him now, too.

xvart.

MY TURN!!! I reported him to the Canadian Fish and Game. Anyone else??

Maybe he doesn't know. Did anyone think to tell him?

Capslock

He states on e-bay he has been growing for a long time. How could he NOT know??

Well maybe he lied lol. People lie, especially when they sell "SUPER RARE OCTUPUS PLANTS!!!!"

Doesn't matter - can only go by what they advertize. If they say they have something, and it's illegal, well, when the cops show up they may not get busted, but E-bay may have something to say about it.

Maybe he doesn't know. Did anyone think to tell him?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.

I am a carnivorous plant hobbyist/enthusiast that has been at this a long time and knows his plants.

He should know then.

FYI...if anyone see anything illegal (plant or non-plant) on ebay, use the "report this item" link near the bottom of the listing.

"S. oreophila, a CITES level 1 species, is endangered in the wild and is thus banned from international trade."

The more captive-bred S oreophilas, the better. If he/she has been distributing hundreds of S. oreophila seeds, he/she might have accomplished more for NASC's mission than NASC has so far.

Anyone ask for provinence info? If they're legit, my guess is the're from a Cook's plant, since Dean has given away so many.

The more captive-bred S oreophilas, the better. If he/she has been distributing hundreds of S. oreophila seeds, he/she might have accomplished more for NASC's mission than NASC has so far.

Anyone ask for provinence info? If they're legit, my guess is the're from a Cook's plant, since Dean has given away so many.

ive been pondering this for a while too. if you restrict the sale and distribution of plants...your not helping in trying to....un-endanger this plant. im sure there is some reason. its just always confused me.
Alex

Hold on there CITES police... you actually think this Alberta guy actually rode his horse all the way down south and harvested illegal plants...snuck them into Canada so he can work you guys all up?

CITES is to regulate the trade of endangered species (so we're told)... and in my experience, I've seen this well meaning red tape stuff gone mad.

So hold on to your traps ...it's not like the guy took a bulldozer and razed an entire habitat. Like the character in the ebay ad ( I think I know who he is..., and if it is him, he's done more for CPs than most CP growers I've met over the past few decades). I too, get a few hundred oreophylla seeds every season... and most of it gets eaten by the local birds and rodents anyways. In fact, I've got a forest of these plants growing along with my darlingtonias.

I'd bet there are piles of people out there who'd give me their right testicle to get a few of my seeds. But heck, CITES says I can't do it, so I let the seeds sow themselves in my yard.

Last edited:
WRONG, BFT! According to Cites 1 restrictions, you cannot sell them across state lines, trade them across state lines, but CAN give them away for free. Making money on them is illegal if you cross Provincial/State lines. I didn't make up these rules, the Feds did. If he has done much for CP, then he should also be aware of these rules. AND, it is International Law too. So, if you don't know already, now you do. BTW, you can give out as many S. oreophila seed as you want, sell them within your state, whatever, BUT, once they cross state lines, and you have sold them, YOU are dead in the water. And in deep, deep trouble. Barry Rice backs me on this, so go to the Conservation Forum, and get an education on the endangered species and what is legal, and what is not. Cites police?? Maybe. But these plants are being sold ILLEGALLY, and it must be stopped.

Sarrs are threatened by habitat loss, not by somebody in British Columbia selling seeds on eBay. Yes, some or all of the sales will be illegal, but the seller is more of an ally of Sarracenia conservation than an enemy. I'm not saying NASC or its people should condone illegal sales, but this certainly seems like a case of choosing the wrong battle.

OK. Then breaking the law is Ok then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bug, I've filed a complaint with ebay.

Everyone else: If this guy was really just so darn concerned about the continuance of the species, I don't think he'd be selling them. My guess is that he'd be a little bit more concerned with the LAW and making the seed accessible. If he's just such a derned good guy that he wants to get the seeds out, then there's a bunch of great ways he could do so a) more effectively and b) legally.

Who here knows the source? I know I don't. I don't think you do either. So as far as anyone's concerned: Illegal sales are illegal.

Back