What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus flytrap "Tree" soon available!!

Well it will be 18 months of hope and anticipation!

So I wonder if those traps only last as long as the stakl does? Or does the stalk just take a long time to die since it's got traps on it and is obviously modified in some way? It's really interesting..

Sorry, I don't take my real camera to the green house very often... So here is another camera phone picture. ???

Are rhizomes forming at the end of the leaf bases?

Dude, you need to document those with extensive photographs.

k, some "real" pictures for you guys :)

wow! looks even better than before!

Yes, a very interesting plant. If it's not a TC accident/mutation perhaps it is a cultivar the TC lab of the supplier was working on and some got shipped out by mistake.

Only time will tell I suppose.

damn!!! I would love to have that plant. Unfortunately adnedarn can't ship to canada. :( Man!! seriously though...that is a amazing VFT. :)

OR

Can you ship to canada? ;)

Very cool. Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that the mutation is sustainable. Andrew, on average how tall are they?

When the thing flowers it'll be even taller!

Watch, the flower stalk makes MORE traps.

Then we'll have the magic bean story...

Now THAT is cool! I hope you can get divisions that reproduce like that. You'd have a hot product for sure. Really awesome looking plant. :D

Not only is it nice looking plant it also has a good means of propagation.

woah...scary thought....those flytraps on the stalk flower...and make more flytraps!!!!!!
Alex

Does the base still produces traps out of the ground or has all growth gone upward into that trunk?

It reminds me of a climbing tuberous dew. It grew the rosette and now all growth is up top.

It looks like you can pulk small bulds oflike a spider plant.

Maybe it will just keep growing and growing and growing till it's 4,976 feet tall! Nah.. might get wobbly around that 5 foot mark... Also it'd probably go to sleep before then. :p

I really hope this is a new cultivar. I know that sometimes VFTs false vivipary, but those traps look kinda wimpy.. THESE look like full blown traps and they act like it too!

None of the upper leaves appear to be forming roots. It's as if the apical meristem and the flower stalk fused somehow.

It would be interesting to pull one of the upper leaves and see if it would develop roots or plantlets like a normal leaf pulling.

I plan on attempting to pull off one of the whole plants that is growing up there and using that as the propagation material instead of a single trap.

None of the upper leaves appear to be forming roots. It's as if the apical meristem and the flower stalk fused somehow.

It would be interesting to pull one of the upper leaves and see if it would develop roots or plantlets like a normal leaf pulling.
I didn't know VFTs had shoot apical meristems... Do they have an actual one? I know the rhizome is a modified stem, but since it's a rosette forming plant I never knew there was one.
Speaking of plant biology... Does anyone know if stomata are found on the leafs of Dionaea (which would be the traps)??? Stomata are supposed to be found on the "underside" of a leaf, so if they are located on the leafs, would the be found on the inside or outside of the traps? Or would they be found only on the petiole?

Back