What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus Fly Trap Dormancy

Hello is it ok that i let my venus fly traps go dormant on there first year cause i know alot of people dont do this for the first year i hope they are ok :p

yes, its fine!
in fact, its the preferred method..letting them go dormant is better than *not* letting them go dormant.

the talk about "skipping their first winter" generally refers to tissue culture plants that were recently purchased, perhaps grown indoors by a brand-new CP hobbiest who didnt know about dormancy yet..
in those cases, the general consensus is thats its probably ok to skip the first winter of dormancy..
(also applys to newly sprouted seedlings)
but its certainty not *better* to skip dormancy..and its never a good idea to skip dormancy if you can avoid it..

the bigger, more important question is..*how* did your plants go dormant?
are they outside?

Scot

Well scott thanks for the info im not sure if they have turned but i should imagine so since winter here has been like -6 maybe some nights and days -10 :( this is the worst winter we have had and last year was the worst summer but the vft's where happy as they looked to be growing nice

its hard for me to put them on the floor so they are on a table other wise my dogs will eat them so many have fallen to the mouth of the dogs lol

Richard

Well it's too late to do anything now. So whatever you've done to them, put them somewhere warm and sunny such as a windowsill and watch them grow.

Back