What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ventricosa 'red' coloring

I just recieved a N. ventricosa 'red' that I absolutely love, but I was wondering if the greenish lower half of the pitchers is just from the plant being young, or maybe low light.

Here is a picture of a mature ventricosa 'red' with fully red pitchers.
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery....zed.jpg

And here are pictures of mine.

<span style='color:teal'>Hello!  
smile.gif

Well, this is a matter of age, mostly. Though the more light they have, the more vivid pitchers color can be. This only happens when plants are mature. I mean, young plants will have pitchers with green bottom.

Pitchers from young ventricosa:
VRED11702.jpg

Then, mature plants will have these red (for me this red is pink) pitchers while the plant recieve a good light. If light is not that strong, or if the photoperiod is too short, then the pitchers will have green bottoms also.

Pitcher from mature ventricosa:
NVENTRICOSAupperred.jpg

Then, when the plants have produce vine and upper pitchers they are all pure light green almost white.

Upper ventricosa pitcher:
NVENTRICOSAuppergreen.jpg

At least this is my experience with the countless ventricosa varieties (from several different origins) that i have. As you may see i really love the ventricosa  world
smile_m_32.gif
</span>

When I first got my N.ventricosa 'red', I thought it was either a normal ventricosa or a hybrid. Now the newest pitcher is very fat and very red. The pitchers were kinda green-yellow like in your picture, but out of nowhere, the pitchers started becoming more and more red.

Sweet replies and pictures. I can't wait until mine gets a little older!  Sorry I'm late.  I couldn't access terraforums for a few days due to some wacky redirection error.

Well with my limited experience with Neps I ahve to agree. My sanguina orange was all green when I first got it and now that its aging the leaves and pitchers are turning orange. My NoID was doing the same thing. Just like Sarrs the more sun the more color. Its so cool too because I have basal shoots on both plants and the baby pitchers on both are green instead of the orange and red colors like the more mature growths.

Back