What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia longifolia pictures

It is the first time that my U. longifolia has come into flower so I thought I'd take a few pics to share. The flower hasn't quite yet fully opened but I will update post when it does.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

Ya know... it's the last picture that speaks to me. How much of the "pot" do you keep in water?

wow, that's a lot of "roots"! Congrats one the flower!

Thanks for the positive comments :grin:

Ya know... it's the last picture that speaks to me. How much of the "pot" do you keep in water?

Hi Jim,

The container is undrained, it's supermarket fresh soup packaging. As you can see, it's a transparent container and leaves form sub-terrain. The container is quite full. The growing medium is NZ dried sphagnum moss. I keep the water level at or just below surface level. It started to put up flower spike under fluorescent lights but was later moved to under metal halide lights as it grew too tall to be under my fluorescents. The kinks in the stalk are due to it hitting the fluorescent light fitting. The room where it grows has central heating but this is not on all day and not on at all at night.

Carl

Mobile,

What are your temperatures like? I grow this species but I doubt it will ever flower for me...it's too hot here year round. :(

Mobile,

What are your temperatures like? I grow this species but I doubt it will ever flower for me...it's too hot here year round. :(
It would be quite variable, being considerably cooler in winter than summer. Currently, daytime temperatures are mid 20's celcius on my grow shelf but will be cooler at night.

Nice one! :)

I have longifolia growing like that in a 6" fishbowl but haven't seen any threats of blooming yet. It gets seasonal light and temps... maybe someday!

Have you ever used your fertilizer on the leaves? I have not intentionally fertilized it (it may have been hit with over spray as I mist the orchids) but perhaps it would inspire some blooms if I were to give it a good misting of orchid bloom ferts?

Nice one! :)
Have you ever used your fertilizer on the leaves? I have not intentionally fertilized it (it may have been hit with over spray as I mist the orchids) but perhaps it would inspire some blooms if I were to give it a good misting of orchid bloom ferts?
I've never used fertilisers on this plant, though I have used an aquatic fertiliser on some of my other Utricularia in the past.

Why undrained?

Why undrained?
It allows me to have individual water levels dependant on the species. It also stops the more adventurous Utricularia from growing out of drainage holes and invading the water tray or neighbouring pots.

Maybe I should try that approach...

Maybe I should try that approach...
I collect soup packaging tubs for this purpose but unfortunately some of the supermarkets have started printing directly onto them, rather than applying a label.

As promised, here's an update with the open flower...

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

Okay, are these more leaves or the beginnings of flower scapes?

Picture004-12.jpg

Picture006-5.jpg

Yep... that looks like a flower stalk... congratulations :)

Can't wait for the flowers!

Back