What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric help please

• Thread starter Bio
  • Start date

Bio

Plant Whisperer
I recently got several species of Utricularia:
U. sandersonii
U. longifolia
U. gibba
and a hitchhiker that is probably U. subulata or livida​

I know a bit about their care (especially the terrestrials) but I would apprecate tips on the longifolia. I would also appreciate tips on the terrestrials, and pics of mature plants of these species. These are my first utrics, so I have next to nit information about them, other than what the Savage Garden says. I also got a few Aldrovanda strands, and I'm growing it with the gibba in a water garden I set up specifically for aquatic utrics and Aldrovanda several years ago, but I only grew water reeds and pickerelweed in them until recently.

Thanks in advance

sandersonii and subulata/livida (whatever it turns out to be) all like soil being very moist to waterlogged, and sandersonii often flowers best when it experiences slight seasonal changes, especially the blue form. U. longifolia is not a picky plant, mine do well in LFS and perlite, anywhere from very well drained to near waterlogged, and all of these plants enjoy high light levels.

In my experience, longifolia has been a picky plant for me. I have grown it in a peat/perlite mix on a windowsill, in pure peat in a tub, and in long-fibered sphagnum and it has not thrived in any of those conditions. Compared to longifolia, the other species are much easier. I have sandersonii growing in pure peat in a small pot and it spreads rapidly. Utricularia gibba will grow in pure water, although I would recommend adding some peat to it. And livida has survived in water as well as buried under peat in a Sarracenia pot for me.

For me longifolia do well in peat/sand, pure spag and spag/sand mixes, occasional flooding, full morning sun to 50% shade cloth, 10-20cm tall pots with 5-10cm water tray that fluctuates, my plants like occasional flooding, they seem to despise to much sun and hot weather, on hot days my plants wilt, but in winter they take off.

Be carful with gibba, it will invade and spread, my plants need thinning (easily a few kilo a year are thrown out to die) a small 10cm single strand can become a 1kg ball within a few months, yet at other times they can stunt, odd plant, but generally thrive and spread, they even tolerate basic water (as opposed to Acidic).

I use bog water for U. gibba.

Thanks everyone. I assumed the terrestrials would be easy to grow, and I hope I can grow longifolia well. It seems most people can.

By the way, I was looking at some pics of U. livida & U. subulata and it appears that the unknown utric is U. subulata. I was hoping for something that would at least look good while it took over. :p

By the way, I was looking at some pics of U. livida & U. subulata and it appears that the unknown utric is U. subulata. I was hoping for something that would at least look good while it took over. :p

My condolences....

Back