What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USPS Follies . . .

I picked up a package from the post office this morning and asked them, when they handed it to me, whether it had been used for soccer practice. I got a shrug and the stink eye from someone who looked like Newman from Seinfeld. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zG_PN31YJU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJtaVfAzp2s&feature=related

I suppose that the stamp should have read: PERISHABLE LIVE PLANTS: KEEP FROM HEAT OR COLD OR THE THREAT DISPLAYS OF LOWLAND GORILLAS.

Too expensive already, I suppose. Too wordy.

The plant, miraculously enough, was fine . . .

USPS.jpg

Well, it doesn't say "FRAGILE - HANDLE WITH CARE"

Gosh that's terrible. :( What plants did you get?

Oh yeah....I've seen this too many times.....

USPS treats me pretty well, surprisingly. The box of rock I got for my fish tank from UPS was beat up, but probably because the rock was unsecure. However, the one thing that happened with the USPS, actually today:
So, the mailman came to my door and I thought it was my mom so when he knocked I knocked back in a mimicy way. And on top of that I was breaking in my school shoes(dress shoes) With giant crew socks while wearing shorts.

im pleased it arrived ok, but there is no excuse for something like that...

ugh, you almost have to be trying to do that much damage

USPS treats me pretty well, surprisingly. The box of rock I got for my fish tank from UPS was beat up, but probably because the rock was unsecure. However, the one thing that happened with the USPS, actually today:
So, the mailman came to my door and I thought it was my mom so when he knocked I knocked back in a mimicy way. And on top of that I was breaking in my school shoes(dress shoes) With giant crew socks while wearing shorts.

For the most part, usps has been pretty good to me too. More than once I've chased after the mail guy to give him a letter or package, and stuff usually arrives quickly and safely. I know though how frustrating it can be, I've had letters completely ripped to shreds on arrival in that obnoxious "It's not our fault" bag...

I had a box come in awhile ago that looked friggin identical.
What's up with mail people? Jeez.

The plants are always okay by magics though which is what counts :3

im pleased it arrived ok, but there is no excuse for something like that...

ugh, you almost have to be trying to do that much damage

Postman: *smashes box* That'll teach them to use me for plants.

I guess I've been pretty lucky...never had issues with my post-people.

the mail guy treat us pretty good here,hes actually quite friendly. I ended up having a small chat with him one day when he dropped off a package for me, although there was one time where we did have a mail man who never delivered our mail, no idea why but he didnt do it then he got replaced my the one we have now. Im glad that switch was made though :)

This probably has nothing to do with the mailman. Packages most liely get damaged during transport stacked with all those other boxes . . .

I think the best one related to me, is where I sent 5 large Sarracenia in a triangle tube, I was sent pics of the arrival since they were excited for the unwrap... There was only half a box, and plastic over the top of the item inside. Once the plastic was cut away, there was a poster... of a book shelf. No plants, no order sheet, no instructions, no peanuts. I guess the people that were expecting the poster were just as baffled to receive some strange plants. ???
Andrew

My best involved corals. Oh, they were marked correctly. But FedEx took it upon themselves to deliver to a completely different number, on a completely dfferent street, in a completely different town, where they left all 3 boxes in the un-airconditioned hallway of an apartment building. I drove the 3 miles to the address when the taracking showed as delivered and I called it in as not delivered. They gave me the address of his last stop, and sure enough, there were my packages. The next worst is one of the UPS guys who routinely refuses to come down my driveway (about 200 feet, ends in a circle) and just throws packages in the woods. Complaining has done no good. Unions. :mad:

Not really USPS fault but mine was Cindy's book group buy last year.... ( I was her USA facilitator in the offer)

Box arrived from Singapore (can you say cha-ching$$$$$) with USA Custom's marked tape repairing a major, major tear. Somehow, somewhere between Singapore and the USA the box was tore open.... missing a big section.

Over half the books were missing, and most of what was left were heavily damaged....

Cindy lost her butt in replacing the books and reshipping. To help her, I distributed them domestically on my dime

Group buys are bad mojo.....

I got a couple of Heli hybrids in the mail that got the same force of treatment the above box did. Unfortunately, the priority box chosen was a video-sized box, so they were completely smashed. The box was wet also, but was bagged and labled as "destroyed in mail" when it arrived.
As a result, I would never use such a small box, as priority is weight based, a larger box with some light packing material costs the same as that small box to ship.

Joe

I had one flat rate box that looked like it was run over by a cartwheel or another heavy box fell edge on right in the middle. Fortunately the two sundews were at the ends so no harm done.

S*** happens. Boxes shift in the back of a truck or aircraft cargo pod. Drivers have to slam on the breaks when cut-off by some jerk or aircraft encounter turbulence. A worker not paying attention dumps heavier boxes on smaller boxes. Stuff falls off carts, forklifts or gets jammed on conveyor belts. S*** happens.

Non-flat rate priority can be tricky. Exceed the weight tier by 0.5 ounce and the rate goes up 9-10 dollars. Ship across one zone further and the price goes up $0.65-1.25.

You should have seen the Fed-ex guy run when he left this on my porch.....

box02.jpg

Back