What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upright or hanging??

• Thread starter Tilkifox
  • Start date
Hey!
Is it better to grow neps up some sort of trellis or let them hang down?
I've got 2 that are vining like crazy and so far I've staked them upright but they're growing at such a rate they will end up on the ceiling!
Are they better upright or trailing? Or is it literally just personal preference?
They're starting to grow out the bottom of the pot so I need to repot them anyway...
One is a ventrata and the other is a ventricosa x (talangensis x maxima)

I believe it is personal preference and or space available. For example my house N. x ventrata I'm letting do whatever it wants. :p My house Nep (N. x ventrata) In the greenhouse I try to keep most of them as upright as I can to prevent as much tangling as I can.

I believe it is personal preference and or space available. For example my house N. x ventrata I'm letting do whatever it wants. :p My house Nep (N. x ventrata) In the greenhouse I try to keep most of them as upright as I can to prevent as much tangling as I can.
Yours is absolutely amazing!!
I love the idea of letting it do what it wants!
The biggest problem I have is I don't have the facility to hang it anywhere 😞

If you're looking to encourage basals, let it hang/cascade.

If you're looking to encourage basals, let it hang/cascade.
Excuse my ignorance but basals are babies growing at the bottom right?
Is it better to leave them there, or separate them from the mother plant?
Would leaving them there to grow (or removing them) have a detrimental effect on the mother plant?

Sometimes it seems like they can affect the plant, and other times they don't seem to care. I take it on a case by case situation and only remove them (or cut back the vine) if it seems like the main vine is struggling or I would like to have more of that plant. The plant you saw in my dining area is many basals, some growth points have died off but I don't know if that's because of basals or the lighting is not as great there so it activates nodes to get closer to the lights.

I had 3 babies on a bloody mary/lady luck and the mother plant stopped pitchers and growth really slowed down. I removed the babies and potted them about 6 or 7 months ago and while the babies have finally started to grow, the mother plant never picked up. It's not dead by any means but hasn't pitchered since.

When the basals are young, it often slows the mother vine down as energy is being redirected into them. As basals mature and start catching food on their own, vines will usually start growing again.

I have a st gaya that has 2 (at least) basals growing with several mini pitchers and I really fancy leaving them there and having a bushier plant!

Back