What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update of my terrarium and VFT's (56k warning)

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

Here is an update via crappy 0.3 mp camera on my cell phone.

the whole situation is explained in the images.

Nutshell: Al foil helps especially in low light situations.

Now the leaves should be more healthier according to the VFT gurus out here. What do u guys think??

How do u guys think my plants are doing?? good?? will they live fine as long as I keep doing what I am now??

enough talk....now pictures

----

terupdate1cm2.jpg

terupdate2yu1.jpg

terupdate3tc3.jpg

terupdate4yc0.jpg

terupdate5xo2.jpg

terupdate6lm3.jpg

cheers,

vraev

thanx for the help guys.

ill tell ya one thing...The Red Dragon you have in their wont ever have that reddness again under the same conditions your giving it. it gets red under full sun and nothing less. everything else looks great though!
Alex

well....my situation doesn't allow me to have these under full sun. And,,,,I don;t even have my dorm room that is facing east...I am in a room that is north facing. So I get bright shade...no direct light. This is why I also keep ott-lite on. I know fluoroscent is better.....but for now....I don't really care about red...as long as the plants survive till next summer like this when I can get new tube lights etc.

Ott-lights are PC, which are fluorescent.

Anyone besides me think it's cool how fluorescent lights glow after you turn 'em off? Neat.

well duh. you know what makes them light up? the state of matter called plasma. where an element is heated so much that it isnt a liqud, solid,or gas. dont ask me how they do this with out melting everything else... ive never noticed an after glow though. i have cool whit FB's
Alex

It's not plasma. A current between two electrodes is produced and this excites the Murcury vapor. This produces UV light which excites the Phosphor crystals/powder and produced visible light.

Stars are made of plasma.

hmmm...where did i hear it was plasma then....
confused.gif
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Sep. 29 2006,6:46)]hmmm...where did i hear it was plasma then....
confused.gif
confused.gif
Your explanation of plasma is right but JLAP is right about the insides of lights.

If you wanna keep your red dragon red just put two 30w cf over the terrarium. It kept my plant plenty red.

yeah,...I am going to check out some local plant stores here in mississauga tomorrow. I just came back home. I'll see if I can get some good lights...and a timer + reverse osmosis water.

well....didn't get any lights but i got 1 gallon of pure RO water.
smile.gif

Back