What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual Rotting Leaf Die-off

I have a Nepenthes species 1, a highlander, growing in relatively high humidity levels (I don't have an exact measurement) under low-med lighting (mostly filtered sunlight from a skylight, and whatever it gets from the room lights when they are turned on) and just very recently it is having some leaf die-off in two locations that appear very wet and rotten looking.

It's a big shift from its usual senescence pattern where the tissue would gradually turn brown and become very dry. It is also very uncharacteristic as it has happened to young, emerging leaves, so I'm wondering if this may be a result of some of the conditions I have it in now, or some kind of infection/parasite? I was also just about to repot the plant - should I hold off on this until its health improves?

Thanks so much!

nepenthes020.jpg

nepenthes021.jpg

Yikes that does look good. It almost looks like root-rot to me. But you will want to wait for more of the pro's to fill you in on possibilities.

It looks like a rot problem to me as well, if not a correlation from lack of light and the number of basals your plant has... Often, the basals will sap energy from the main plant and, after time slowly degrade it's health if adequate lighting and nutrition are not present... I would give it more light, a skylight, especially in winter is not going to provide adequate lighting... So, you may have several problems lumped together causing the degrade in health.
In all, i would chop the main vine off, and provide the new basals and growth with as much light as you can, incondescent bulbs are not going to provide any light for your plant, you would need fluorescent, compact fluorescent, HPS, metal halide, etc.... And fluorescents still need to be relatively close to the plants...

Thanks you guys, yeah I had a feeling it was probably some kind of pathogen.

SirKristoff - Those basals were there when I purchased it a few months ago, I had no idea they could be choking off the main vine. I will prune the main vine though, since it looks like it will be dead soon anyways. I will also move it to a higher light level, but the humidity will be lower - would you say increased light is the more vital parameter at this point?

Is there any sort of treatment I should add to counteract a possible disease or fungus?

The suggestions everyone has given are very likely, although it could be the mysterious, rare, and sudden black death.

Shows the classic signs that almost all plants exhibit...

Browning starting at the stem end and spreading outward toward the leaf tip, indicates poisoning (toxic amount of fertilizers for one example, "salts" or toxins in unwashed media is another), too much water, too high of humidity, etc. Usually the browning area is moist or mushy...but not always.
Browning starting at the leaf tip and spreading inward toward the stem indicates too dry, hot or burning conditions. Usually the brown area is dry and even grayish looking, although the rotting can also produce this. Root damage can make this happen also.

While there are exceptions, this is the general rule.

[It does get difficult to read the signs and determine the real problem, when a plant is forgotten and not watered, then later over-watered to make up for the lack of proper long term and regular care and attention. The over-watering quickly leads to rotting of the already drought stressed tissues. Again, the usual reaction is to cut back on water again, making the situation even worse!]

My suggestion would be to determine exactly what you have done incorrectly, if you can! But no matter what caused the situation, you need to fix the problem! Check your media, and review the past months of growing. If you have done everything right, then it is in your media. If the media seems good, then it implies you messed up on the watering somehow (how much, how often, etc.) And again, you may need to re-pot it into new media, in order to fix any "toxic" issues. Could even be too cold of temperatures!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back